I need help with Asterina sp. Starfish

Ariel110G

Reefing newb
So for some time now I have been having Asterina sp. Starfish, I know they eat coral, algae & coralline algae as well, in my case they are not eating corals but they are eating my coralline algae & I don’t want to end up losing all of my coralline algae, I’ve been taking them out manually one by one, but it’s just not good enough. I’m thinking of getting a Harlequin shrimp but I just don’t want to be stuck with it if I have to feed him starfish once he is done with the Asterina sp. Starfish, is there anything else I can do I or any other animals that will eat Asterina sp. Starfish.
I was thinking about a six line do they eat them????

Thanks for the help

Ariel

I'm not sure about other animals, but you can get a chocolate chip star, keep it in your sump, and clip part of a leg off once a week to feed to your harlequin shrimp. The star will grow its legs back so you'll have an unending supply of food for the harlequin!

The sixline probably won't touch them. A harlequin shrimp is the only thing I know of that will take care of them, but then you'd either need to catch the shrimp and return it to the store, or continue to feed it stars.

Most of the time the asterinas don't eat corals. There are only a few people that have said they saw them eating corals (I had some eat some zoas, I'm pretty sure of it, but that was after I'd had them in my tank for years, and it's probably because they had run out of film algae to eat). You must have a huge number of them if they are making a noticeable difference on your coralline algae.

I think that manual removal is probably the only option... :(

I'm not sure about other animals, but you can get a chocolate chip star, keep it in your sump, and clip part of a leg off once a week to feed to your harlequin shrimp. The star will grow its legs back so you'll have an unending supply of food for the harlequin!

Yes, but that's effing creepy and gross. :mrgreen:

That just feels so wrong on so many levels, but he is right :)

Back