I need help with my clowns!!

Sxybeemr325

Reefing newb
here I am with my clownfish issues again!!!!!

I don t know if you guys remember... About a year ago, I've had 4 clowns jumping out of my tank within 1-2 months. The first pair I bought, they both jumped out. I bought a second pair thinking it was bad luck as even my lfs was telling me they never heard of clownfish jumping out of a tank, and the second pair jumped out. my clowns would always hang out on top of the water....

I just went to look at my 2 new clowns. they now left the gonipora to go hang out on top of my water! Why is that? I have powerheads on top of the water creating a lot of circulation and rippling on top.... are those 2 clowns gonna jump out as well??? What is it that i'm doing wong with the clowns? Why do they always end up going on top of the water and just swim on top there.... their fins on their back are coming out of the water, they can t go any higher then that! no more clownfish suicide.... Somethin must be wrong!

Actually, my clowns hang out mostly on top by the power heads as well. I'm sure they would jump too but i have a cover for that.

Why dont you just use a glass top or eggcrate ?

Where do you buy the egg crate? Isn't that kind of ugly looking....??? I was going to buy the glass top, but I have my overflow box and mag pump for the skimmer... i don t think the glass top would fit... or would it???

Why do clowns always hang out in the middle / bottom part of the tank at the lfs?

you can get egg crate at a hardware store, it might now look the best but will save you fish lives and money. You could probably get a glass top cut for your tank if you wanted

Most clowns will hang out at the waters surface.Mine do that quiet a bit and have never jumped,that I know of.
If you want to use eggcrete to cover the top.You can find it in the lighting department at lowes or home depot.

The bf is now calling me. i may go buy some eggcrate tomorrow after work.... i will post my parameters tomorrow after work....I'll check everything....

I would think it has to do something with your water. I have never had one jump and I have had many clowns. Mine usually die from something else though. I havn't heard of them being jumpers either. Let see the peram.

Are they jumping out at night? If so I have heard, and seen fish that jump out of the water when they get spooked at night to try and get away from any danger. Maybe there is something in your tank spooking them at night.

yea i think mine jumped because of my brittle star fish who is noctural and full grown, now that's he's in the 34 gallon he doesn't seem to be a problem even the shrimp get along with him

Im actually using a glass top and i use an overflow box as well. I had the glass top carved out on the area where the U-tube of my overflow box is so that the glass top would fit all the way in. But eggcrate is your quickest & cheapest solution.

It is a long shot, but if you know a handyman type ask him to test your tank eater with a voltmeter. Stray voltage has been known to cause fish to jump out of tanks, Just stick one lead tip in the tank ware and touch one to the mounting screw of an electrical outlet cover. You should read no voltage. Heaters and power heads are known for occasionally causing stray voltage. Another reason not to use in tank power heads or submersible electric heaters. Titanium probes with grounding wires are available for this problem. Most GFI's will not react to small levels of stray voltage.

Here is what my water is testing at:
Salinity: 1.23
PH: 8.0
Nitrate: 0
Nitrite: 0
Ammonia: 0.25
Phosphate: 0
Calcium: 580 mg/l

The nitrates are definetely there..... My calcium has always been high since day 1....

Perams look great except calcium, but I doubt that could be the problem. I would guess they're getting spooked other than that I don't know.

I jump in front of moving traffic when I am spooked. NOT! Hari Kari fishes only gotta jump out of their entire world. Must be such an easy decision.

Yeah I agree with fatman, something must be spooking them. Check for stray voltage, or any other creatures that would be startling the clowns while sleeping at the top of the water. Mine sleep floating at the top in the corner, ive never had one jump anywhere. They just float and wiggle...

Back