I need help with the ph in my tank

reef7984

Reefing newb
I'm having trouble keeping the ph in my tank stable. Even though I am using a calcium reactor during the day it's fine at about 8.3-8.4 but for some reason it goes down at night to 7.9. What can anyone recommend I do?

Ph always does that. It is normal that it fluctuates throughout the day. I know that in the day it is much higher than then ph at night, I'm just not sure of the acceptable range tht it can fluctuate.

I wouldn't mess with it...ph is known to go down at night first of all, and adding chemicals to the tank will only offset something else. Most of us run a refugium/sump on the tank, and having a light come on the refugium when the display light goes off helps keep the ph a lil more stable. Also, having fresh air in the room with the tank helps with the ph also.

I want to increase the PH in my tank, but do know how right now is between 7.4 and 7.8 to low for corals.

How mature is your tank?
For new tanks, the organics have not yet settled in so pH and other parameters would take a while to stabilize.
Trying to add stuff too early to control pH could end up messing the tank even more.

The effects of CO2 on pH are much greater than most people believe. I suggest that you open a few windows at night and let your house air out if the weather permits it. CO2 mixed with water forms Carbonic Acid, which obviously lowers pH. I discounted this effect until I got a pH probe on my tank and had a club meeting in my home. We had about 45 people in attendance. The pH dropped over 0.40 during the meeting! I was awe struck by the amount of the change.

Back