I need help!!!!

joshuacohenjc

Reefing newb
i have a little basket type thing inside my 75 gallon reef were i was keeping my 2 cuda tank bred seahorses until i set up my seahorse tank this weekend (i got them 2 days ago). when i got home about 15 minutes ago i noticed that only one was in there. i panicked and starting looking everywhere in the tank then i noticed that he was I'm my wave maker powerhead. he had half of his body in the power head and and his body and head were sticking out. the entire power head had stopped spinning. i quickly unplugged all the power heads in the tank so that when i open up the powerhead he can swim away and i can catch him and put him back in the seahorse basket/thing. it looked like he was swimming around but he might have just been floating. when i put him in the seahorse basket/thing, i noticed that the entire left side of his tail was white. it looked like he attached his tail to the rock in the basket but i still fear that he might be dead. i just put mysis shrimp for him to eat, but only the other seahorse was eating. (they've been eating mysis for the past 2 days) he hasn't move in the past 15 minutes that I've been home. maybe he is just scared, i hope so. i just got him but i really liked him.
PLEASE, TELL ME THAT HE MAY STILL BE ALIVE!!!

I would just give him some time. Don't bother him too much. Hopefully he can make it but there is not much you can do but wait and see. I hope he pulls thru for you.

Can you see his gills moving? Im afraid there isnt much hope, these guys are super finicky and after such a traumatic incident I have no idea if he will even have the will to try and recover.

Also seahorses are extremely susceptible to bacterial infections which are made even worse when then are under stress from being in a tank that is too hot. You are in an even worse spot because now your guy has an open wound.

I really wish you luck, but next time, dont go buy a creature until you are ready to totally provide for their needs. Putting them in a basket until you have the tank set up for them was a really poor choice.

i know, but the guy at my local fish store convinced me, but i did lower the temperature to about 76. I see that he is breathing!!!! but what can i do to fix it. should i set up a quarantine tank in the extra 20 gallon tank i have laying around. I've never used a quarantine tank before so i need help to know what should be in it, how it should be set and what medicine type things should i put.

Never ever ever let a LFS talk you into buy something, they exist to sell you stuff and if it dies and you go back and buy another, total win for them. Very few lfs give a rats ass about you, your tank and your animals.

And I would try and get that tank set up tonight. Get the water to a maximum of 70 degrees and use a broad spectrum antibiotic. Dont bother putting live rock in, I would put in fake plants and pvc pipes so it can be a true QT tank.

i have an aqua clear hang on filter, do i put it (do i put the ceramics, carbon and sponge), i don't have another skimmer but i don't know if i need one.
what antibiotics would i use, I've never used or heard of any

use the filter for water movement, a QT tank doesnt need a skimmer and most antibiotics will keep it from functioning anyways.

You will need to do daily tests and likely daily water changes. And I cant remember the fish med stuff off the top of my head, i will look it up on my home computer after class.

Back