I need some help...

thunderbay

Reefing newb
Hey everybody! I'm new here, and new to saltwater/reef aquariums. I currently have a 29 gallon, and a 1.5 gallon; planted aquariums. I want to try something new and more challenging, so I want to try a reef tank. I've done a little bit of reaserch on reef aquariums, but haven't found much help. The tank that I'm planning on doing is 49 gallons. I don't completely understand some of the stuff like protein skimmers and the like. So I have a few questions that I'm hoping you can answer :D

About the protein skimmer; do I need one? and if so do you have any recomendations on types/brands?

Do I need an RO filter?

And what is an overflow box? And an auto top-off?

A protein skimmer is basically a type of filter for saltwater. It removes dissolved organics and bad things before they can pollute the water. You will want a protein skimmer. If you have 1 to 2 lbs of live rock per gallon and a protein skimmer, you won't need any other type of filters. Filters that are common in freshwater (like power filters, trickle filters, canister filters, etc.) don't do that great of a job in saltwater. A good protein skimmer brand is Octopus.

You will need an RODI unit, unless you buy your water at the store. You can get RO water at grocery stores, Walmart, or fish stores. You can get a good RODI unit online for around $150 to $200. You do not want to use tap water in a saltwater tank. It usually leads to algae problems and can make it difficult to keep inverts and corals.

Lots of people in this hobby have their tank hooked up to a second tank, usually in the stand beneath the display. This second tank is known as a sump and holds most of the equipment to get it out of sight in the display. An overflow box will allow you to install a sump on a tank that is not drilled. If you buy a drilled tank, you don't need an overflow box.

When saltwater evaporates, it leaves the salt behind. So you need to top off your tank every day with fresh water to compensate for evaporation. An auto top off is a device that does this for you. It's hooked up to a reservoir, and when your tank water level gets low, it automatically adds fresh water to it.

Welcome to the site!

I swear Biff is on here 24/7.

Do you need a protein skimmer?The short answer is no but I highly recommend one.You will have to be very diligent with water changes if you decide not to run one.A few members here run beautiful skimmerless systems.The other questions Biff answered to my satisfaction.Hah,LOL.

Thanks everyone, especially bifferwine :D I like this site already! I read that you might not need an RO filter if you use an all around water conditioner on your tap water, is that a viable option?

Thanks everyone, especially bifferwine :D I like this site already! I read that you might not need an RO filter if you use an all around water conditioner on your tap water, is that a viable option?

It really isn't because that stuff causes everything to foam up and just in general causes problems. RODI system is so simple you'll be glad you have one once you get it.

No, water conditioner doesn't remove all the bad stuff that an RODI unit does. Plus, water conditioners will usually make it difficult to run a protein skimmer. They make them not work. Tap water can contain high nitrates and phosphates, which is algae fuel. Water conditioner won't remove those. And it can contain heavy metals such as copper, which is fatal to inverts.

Not really,maybe for a fish only tank but not a reef system.Heavy metals like copper is going to be your biggest concern.I personally don't believe in those products stating they remove heavy metals.They claim that it bonds to heavy metal and makes it inert.Does it ever breakdown?Does it bond to it forever?Save yourself the headache and use RO/DI water.

Oh no, far from it. (from the database)

The function of lighting in your tank is two-fold. It provides essential energy for all photosynthetic organisms e.g. corals and secondly it allows you to see what’s inside your tank!

There are 3 main types of lighting:

T5/T8 Fluorescent Lighting
Metal Halide
LED
It is important to consider how big and what kind of livestock you are going to have before selecting the most suitable lighting for your tank.

Last edited:
I know very little on freshwater planted aquarium.What I do know is that you are going to need more intense lighting then a planted tank.

I guess David said it best.What size tank,budget and what inhabitants you want to keep will determine what lights you will need.

Livestock and lighting mainly refers to the corals. Your fish can get by with traditional freshwater type lighting, but corals are much more demanding. Lighting is one of the most important components of a reef tank, if not the #1.

The tank is going to be 49 gallons, for the budget... around $100 for lighting if there is anything good for that price range... and that brings up another question, for a reef aquarium does the inch per gallon rule apply for fish? And the corals will probably be mushrooms and Polyps.

Last edited:
Back