I need some help...

So I've been on the internet trying to find out how to set up a sump, and I can't find anything. :roll:

So could you guys explain how to make/setup a sump, and how many gallons it should be.

And what is the advantage of having part of the sump as a refugium for copepods and such?

Here ya go...2 parts..Here's the first one.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxnugJGiT3o]YouTube - Reef Tank D.I.Y. Sump part 1[/ame]

Try youtube, there are lots of videos that will help. Then ask specific questions here on Living Reefs.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13R4elwSFS0]YouTube - MARINE TANK & SUMP How It All Works[/ame]

If the tank is directly above the sump you can run your overflow straight down. You don't have to drill if you don't want to.

Okay, I would rather not drill the tank. What about the return hose, i read about pumps and stuff, what do they mean about return pumps?
What pump would i use for a 49 gallon aquarium?

I use PVC pipe for my return line...For a 49g tank I think a Mag7 (700gph) pump would be good. This will account for headloss (water going against gravity) and still give you approx. 10x the size of your tank for water turnover, which is recommended. When you get the pump, on the directions it will tell you what size PVC to use for the return line.

My favorite LPS corals are blastos (blastomussa wellsi). Here are some examples of blastos:

blastomussa%202.jpg

Blastomussa.jpg

glps7.jpg

blasto3.jpg

7b1b6d39.jpg

WHAT? $800? For blastos? Some color morphs can be expensive. But they are usually $5 to $10 a polyp. I have nothing in my tank that cost more than $100. In fact, all three of my blasto colonies cost less than $50.

This is $99.99 for a huge rock of blastos.
Blastomussa Coral

Here are some super unique blastos, $99.99.
Buy Purple People Eater Blasto Online | Vivid Aquariums

Here's one for $24.99.
Buy Aussie Blastomussa Online | Vivid Aquariums

You can find some that are $20. There's no reason to pay $800 for blastos when there are lots of cheaper ones.

Last edited:
WHAT? $800? For blastos? Some color morphs can be expensive. But they are usually $5 to $10 a polyp. I have nothing in my tank that cost more than $100. In fact, all three of my blasto colonies cost less than $50.

This is $99.99 for a huge rock of blastos.
Blastomussa Coral

Here are some super unique blastos, $99.99.
Buy Purple People Eater Blasto Online | Vivid Aquariums

Here's one for $24.99.
Buy Aussie Blastomussa Online | Vivid Aquariums

You can find some that are $20. There's no reason to pay $800 for blastos when there are lots of cheaper ones.

I meant if he bought your whole slide show. :D But you do bring up something interesting....When we've discussed pricing before I notice that you pay more for some stuff than I do at my LFS, and I pay more for other stuff than you do..Using the Blastos as an example....I'm certain that there are no blastos for $10 per head in Michigan....I wonder why that is? I wonder if it's got something to do with the way they ship? I love Blastos but they're just out of my price range when I'm at the LFS...For any decent size you're looking at $150-$300...Another is Acans...1 small polyp of aussie acans will cost $7.50 to $10. Most places around me won't cut them, so if you wnat them you're buying the whole rock..Which again, knocks it right out of my price range.

Acans are really expensive around here too. $75-100 for a small 3 inch frag. Blastos aren't overly costly though. I paid $20 for a frag with about 8 heads on it. Depending on where you are in Michigan, we're not really that far.

A lot of the pricing in a given area is the demand for that particular coral in that area.I've see stuff that would go no more than 10 bucks here be 75 or 100 in Cali.and vice versa.Then an even bigger part is how each LFS prices them.

Went up to the LFS today to pick up some salt. Snapped a pic of some Blastos...These were $300!. Now you know why I don't have any Blastos..These aren't even particulary striking colors.

Attachments

• Photo0328.jpg
    Photo0328.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 182
Back