I need the experts

SeaBee

Ha Ha Thats Funny!
I have this green algea hair, arrow like tips on some, I forget the name, the stuff is strong too, grows thick. The guys at the lfs store seem to think magnesium will kill it off. I have been trying to get my mg up over 1700, wont go over 1300 right now. I am getting a half gallon of Kent magnesium tomorow, I hope. This guy also said that for some reason only the Kent brand will kill the stuff, something to do with the ingredients. So I wanted some other opinions on this as I have been fighting it for about a month now. All my other parameters are good, right where they should be. I cut the lights now for half the day, more snails, walnut snails, 4 nudibranchs, which I place on there all the time, water changes every week of at least 10%. I even pick it off with tweezers, it just comes back. Thanks in advance all. :D

Sounds like bryopsis. I've heard the same thing about the Kent Magnesium -- it's some sort of random impurity that has that side effect on the bryopsis. It's a tough algae to beat since hardly anyone eats it. I've had it in the past and pretty much had to rely on manual removal. Is it isolated on one rock, or is it all over the place?

I have it on two rocks, and sporadic on others. The nudi's spend time on it. Biff, did you try the Kent? This guy said to jump my mg up to around 2000 and hold it there and the :pooh: will turn yellow and die, so I want to try that.

Never did try the Kent. I had it in my 55, years and years ago. I did end up getting a lettuce leaf nudi for it, but he disappeared after a week or so. Is that the kind of nudi you are trying? They specialize on bryopsis.

If you can take the heavily infested rocks out, your best bet may be to just nuke them, as long as they don't have corals on them or something.

i had it in my tank a few months ago i beat it with water changes 40 percent every week for a month and it was gone, wouldnt reccomend raising your mag it can stress and potentially kill your snails crabs and corals. constantly wipe away any you see and do CONSTANT water changes, add a few more snails if you need to. and youll be good.

They are lettuce nudi's, I have 3 of them. They also said killing the light wont do much either, which explains the stuff growing on the back of some rocks. It eats po4 right? So its just ugly, which its not that bad looking either, I just dont want it starving out my zoos.

As Sarah mentioned, Kent Tech-M has some inpurity in it which may kill some algaes at high levels....around 1600-1700 ppm.

How much did you add? It takes alot to raise mag. According to the Reef Chemistry calculator, for a 55g tank with a current mag level of 1300, you need to add 40 fl oz of Tech-M to get to 1700 ppm.

My mg last night was about 1360, I added about 10 ml of aqua vitro "ions", which raises mg. I have yet to use the Kent and hope to get it today.

According to Seachem "Each 7 mL/125 L (35 gallons*) will raise magnesium by about 5 mg/L." The 10 mL you added didn't do much.

Back