I neglected water change for 3 months and 21 days.

Coletrickle

Reefing newb
I usually change 50% every month, but I have been both busy and lazy. I have tested pH, Nitrite, Nitrate, and Ammonia. Everything is great(what im able to test for). I am not comfortable with the fact it hasn't been changed in so long though. Regardless I'm changing it this afternoon when the water temp gets high enough. How is everything within range after so long?

Test kits go bad after time. How old is yours? Take some water to the LFS for them to test and compare results.

I don't see any reason why everything you tested for couldn't be in range. Some people never do water changes. But what I would be concerned with, if you have a reef tank, is your trace elements like calcium, alkalinity and magnesium. Those may be seriously depleted.

The kit is old (year or so)and that did run through my mind. It is a reef tank and the mushrooms still look good. I have heard if they start looking bad it's time to change. I didn't think about the trace elements. I do add purple up every now and then though so maybe that has helped. I looked at my log and couldn't believe it has been so long. I'm a little disappointed in myself.

at least you have a log...

yea, i have a buddy that has a FOWLR tank, and he never changes his water, just topoffs, but he also uses this thing called a mineral block, i've never seen one before that, but he said that they are great for reef tanks cause they will slowly melt away as the water needs elements that it contains... looks like a miniture salt lick block to me...

It's possible to keep your parameters in line without ever doing water changes. Usually it only happens with very mature tanks that have been set up for a long time. If you have a good skimmer and a fuge, that certainly helps.

I just had this discussion with my son. His 20G FOWLR (I help him with it) just had a 25% change last weekend --the first change since October! All parms were fine! It seemed like too many fish --three died-- in the space of 2 months in there even though water parms all looked fine. Perhaps important minerals were depleted. Lack of water changes may have caused problems with buildup of toxic metals that we don't normally check for. Water changes WILL keep water quality high!

Back