I saw something really bizzare tonight

jb61264

Reefing newb
Earlier this evening I was waiting for a friend to come over and watch a movie...as I was waiting I was staring into my tank and just as I looked away I saw something skitter away out of the corner of my eye...I watched the same location and saw something green come out of a rock, it was bizzare and at first I thought "damn I have a mantis"...but I'm not sure...the mantis that I have seen were reddish and clear...this was definately green.

I'm going to continue to look closer but I'm sure it will have to happen in the morning after the lights have been off all night...I get a dim little penlight and scan around...very fun to do.

there are tons of green mantis... sorry to have to break it to you but you may want to start looking harder, could be bad news

Thanks for the "red" flashlight trick advice Kimoy...I'll give that a shot tonight (or early in the morning which is when I do the flashlight thing). The thing that makes me think it was a mantis is the "elongated" style of the body (from what I could see)

You know...the other thing I've been wondering about is pistol shrimp...I've been hearing these little pops every now and then...can pistol shrimp be green?

Now the BIG question...how the hell do I get it out of my tank if it is a mantis?...and once I do have it out, how much does somebody want to buy it for...LOL ;)

I'm thinking mantis too.
Dont just look for it,listen.You'll hear clicking sounds coming from the tank.
When it comes to catching them.Thats the fun part.
You'll have to pinpoint the rock its living in.once thats done,try to get your net over the hole in case it runs.Then slowly pull the rock out of the tank.Then you can run his lil butt out with a shot of fresh water or pepsi.

go luck on finding some that wants one those things are shit heads if u piss them off the can break the glass on ur tank:shock:

It'd take a pretty good sized mantis to but the tank.
I've one in my 30.I feed him the critters that piss me off.

Yote speaking of critters that piss you off what you ever ending doing with the stars that ate your clam, sorry to get off topic

Back