I saw something really bizzare tonight

loli didnt mean it like that but i would be upset if my star ate my clam to. wat kind of star was it

Yote speaking of critters that piss you off what you ever ending doing with the stars that ate your clam, sorry to get off topic

Their in the tank with my mantis shrimp.
He'll eventually get hungry enough to have a meal of clam eatting stars.:grumble:

I'm thinking mantis too.
Dont just look for it,listen.You'll hear clicking sounds coming from the tank.
When it comes to catching them.Thats the fun part.
You'll have to pinpoint the rock its living in.once thats done,try to get your net over the hole in case it runs.Then slowly pull the rock out of the tank.Then you can run his lil butt out with a shot of fresh water or pepsi.
Will the freshwater kill him?...I don't want to kill him, I'd like to keep him alive if at all possible. I definately have his/her rock figured out...if he barely sees me move when I'm watching his spot, he scurries back down in the hole...I'm hoping he'll stay there when I remove the piece of rock he's in

None if you want clams.
If no clams,then any color brittle excpet for the green.Their called green death for a reason.Or serpent stars.

The fresh water wont kill him,but it should cause him to run out into a bucket.
Thats how I caught all 3 mantis's out of my tank.

y will they kill other invers anf fish sea surpent are cool that is what i was leaning towards i her they can cause a bit of a rucus i want a calm tank

Serpent stars and brittle stars are one of those animals that are 99% safe. Except for the big green ones, and like Yote said, the occasional clam eating ones. I have clams and 2 brittles and 2 serpents, and they have never bothered my clams.

As for the mantis, find which rock he makes his home in and remove it using tongs. Do not handle the rock. If you want to sell him to a fish store, just sell them the whole rock. It's easier that way.

this sucks. ive been hearing clicking noises from my tank for about 2 weeks now. i just thought it was the powerhead on the left side of the tank. now im worried. i never seen and thing that looks like a mantis. would it kill my inverts first. i havent lost a single snail or crab.

Don't always go on sound alone, id make sure you can see the guy and positively ID it before ripping apart your tank. I've had my mantis for a few months now, hes got his own nano cube in my room with some PVC tubing, ive got a cleaner crew of nassarius snails, hermits, and we even found a damsel that was being an ass, threw him in there about a month or so ago... nothing. They are friends, the damsel even ends up in the mantis' PVC burrow some times when I scare it. I've never had mine attack anything, and I hate to admit it, but I always forget to feed it... We even let him go 2 weeks with just the damsel in the tank, and nothing... Here is a chart with identification of a few species of stomatopods. Try not to kill it, they are awesome critters to make a special little tank for. Don't worry about it breaking glass or any of those rumors. There are only a few species when fully grown that can break glass. The guy on Reef central studies them for a living and has only even seen a huge peacock mantis break a thin glass tank. For sure don't put your hand in front of him, well actually near them at all, watch some clips on youtube of a spearer mantis shrimp, they are LIGHTING fast.

this sucks. ive been hearing clicking noises from my tank for about 2 weeks now. i just thought it was the powerhead on the left side of the tank. now im worried. i never seen and thing that looks like a mantis. would it kill my inverts first. i havent lost a single snail or crab.

You can come up with small pistol shrimp as hitch hikers to.For the most part their reef safe.You may have to spend a lot of time sitting in the dark with small flash light with either a red bulb or a red lense.

Back