I screwed up

Marke86

Coral Junkie
I put prime in my tank instead of iodine booth the bottles are red is the prime going to screw up my system.

Hi every body,
Mark

how much you put in, it will make a nasty sulfur smell and probally nock out any nitrites or nitrates in water if you put a bunch in might make your skimmer go nuts. to much iodine with screw up your tank do not want to mess up and overdose iodine.

Prime isn't going to do any harm.Like French said,it may make the tank smell like a rotten egg and make the skimmer overflow,if you used alot.

Like already stated,the prime wont hurt anything.But iodine can be bad.
I never use iodine except to dip new corals.Never add it to my tank.

Salt mixes will contain a balance of iodine and other trace elements already. It's usually unnecessary (and even can be dangerous) to dose iodine unless you have a test kit and have determined a need for it. I wouldn't bother with the iodine, that's just money you could be spending on something cooler.

well thank you guys yah I just like it because it makes my corals grow faster I only put in like a third cap full every week I always do less than the requried dose but it does make the corals grow like weeds.

Speaking of weeds any sugestions on how to cut back GSP? Never done it before. I was thinking razor blade.

Algae growth,yeah.
Coral growth,Nope.
Iodine is a nutrient for plant growth and may to some extent be used by chlorophyll.
What helps the corals grow is the calcium and bi-carbonites.From my understanding.
Besides,your salt mix contains more than enough iodine for what your fish would need.

Isn't iodine required for inverts (crabs, shrimp) to grow healthy? I thought iodine was good for helping shrimp molt and shed their outer shell? Or regrow the new shell? Something like that............ :shock:

From what I understand,Theres more than enough iodine in the salt mix for the shrimp and crabs to use.
I'm no expert on the subject,but I know that my algae problems let up when I stopped dosing iodine,and my shrimp and crabs molt on a regular basis with no problems.
I've not dosed it in about 7 months now.I do however dip all new corals in Lugols iodine before I add them to my tank.

What is a good amount of iodine for a coral dip when acclimating your corals?
Also, I heard to much iodine will have your shrimp prematurely molt and shorten their lifespan.

Back