I stupified

ltljoker

The Great Tang Herder
I am gonna post some pics shortly of this reddish looking crap allover my rocks and sand. This is my old 90 gal tank and cant figure out what it is. Its not red slime cause ive treated it for that. i use good water and did a paramiter check and they all came up in the norm. I would like some help. The other tank looks awsome but this is kinda like my back up tank. and Qt put together

002-4.jpg

003-5.jpg

004-6.jpg

ok everyone there it is. Let me kno what you think it is. its all over the rock and sand.If i dont clean the glass it really accumulates there, Any info would be appreciated:shock:

Phosphates may not be showing up because the algae is eating it all. Can you brush it off with a toothbrush?

P.S Where's your CUC? I don't see any in those pics.

Brush as much as you can, do water changes, do lights out. It looks like cyano to me. An eel will eat CUC's?

How old are your bulbs? and how many G's is your eel tank?

does the g stand for gallons and the bulbs are a year old so i know we need to change the bulbs but the eel is in the 90 gallon and yeah he likes to eat snails and crabs so i will probably rake him out and put him back in my 25 gallon tank

Does scrubbing it off make it die, or does it just drift off somewhere else and spread where it touches? Have some of this showing up in my tank too, but in small patches on the glass.

If it is cyano, then it will just drift off somewhere else. It might land somewhere favorable, it might land somewhere it cant live. Either way, I would syphon as much off while doing a water change to keep it from spreading.

Brian

No biff it doesnt look like that at all. It looks more like rust ir red slime but its not redslime cause ive tried treating it

No way David I dont Hve it in the big tank. I let my step son have a go at the old 90 I used to have but as I have come to find out he is not as dedicated as i am . Its an unforgiving hobbie if you dont stay on your toes (as we all know), with water changes, chemical checks and feedings. But if he cant keep it right I will take over:D

No biff it doesnt look like that at all. It looks more like rust ir red slime but its not redslime cause ive tried treating it

The question is,Have you EVER trated the tank for cyano?
If you have,its just like any other bacteria.Every time you treat it something (like chemi-clean) it builds a resistance to the chemicals,which makes it harder to treat the next time.

Back