i switched tanks, used same water

sicklids

salt water dummy
but i didnt move my sand, it was just playground sand, so i wanted to add some actual LS, but then i got told that it would send my tank into another cycle, and possibly kill all my fish. so do i need to buy the sand, cure it in a rubbermaid tub and then add it? and if so, what all do i need in the tub with the sand? its a fish only tank, no corals. oh, 55 gallons, 120 will be in soon, gotta get the overflow box and such.

What kind of ls are you talking about? The supposedly live stuff in the air tight bag you can buy at the lfs or ls from an established system?
Either way, neither will cause a cycle and no need to cure it.

Your best bet is go to your lfs and see if you can buy a few cups of ls out of 1 of their tanks, then buy a few bags of aragonite (Carib-Sea) sand. Use the ls to "seed" the new dry sand.

i see, but my tank is only like maybe 3months old, i kinda jumped in too fast and bought fish and such before a real cycle, but everyone seems to be doing good. my LFS guy come over and tested my water and he said it was perfect. my bad, the supposed live sand in the airtight bag.

The only thing about using black sand,is it dont reflect as much light back up.But I dont that,that would hurt anything.
Capts got the right idea though.Get enough of the dry aragonite sand to get the depth you want,then seed it with a cup of good live sand from an established tank.I dont see it kicking off a full cycle.You MIGHT get what we call a mini cycle where it comes and goes within a day or 2.I doubt even that would happen.

Adding new sand shouldn't start a new cycle. There's a slim chance it will, so keep some water on hand for a water change just in case.

when i switched tanks i put all new sand in the tank i used aragamax sand. thenthe only prob that i am having it some alage out breaks now but nothing to bad.

Back