I think I did something wrong

Nedim

Reefing newb
I just tested my levels...

ammonia is at .30, pH is at 7.4 and nitrates are at 20.

I did change a few things though. I went from regular I.O to reef crystals, which is suppossed to be pH balanced at 8.4 I believe. I rearranged my LR, too, but I don't know if that would make any difference. Is it possible that the water is cycling again?

If you moved your rocks around it is likely that you triggered a mini-cycle by stirring up and suspending the gunk in the water column. I wouldn't worry about it too much, I used to get mini-cycles when I rearranged my rocks, and it always fixed itself really quickly.

Thats a relief. But what about the pH?

Oh, and I have another question- how can I control unwanted algae growth? I have two snails, three hermit crabs and a coral beauty angel that eat/pick at it, but I still have alot of brown algae all over the glass and LR. On the plus side, Im starting to see more corraline algae and even a mushroom coral has sprouted.

You need to get your water parameters under control to get rid of the algae. Work on lowering your nitrates, and test your phosphate levels -- you want phosphates to be as close to 0 as possible.

I don't know about the pH drop...

I don't know why your PH is low,but I would try to raise it back slowly over the next few days.

Algae is cause by many factors,cut back on lighting,keep nitrate and phosphate near zero,.I don't know of any cleanup crew that does a good job on brown algae.Astrae snails just seem to leave trails through it.I found that as time goes on brown algae becomes less pronounced until it becomes hardly visible.Its just part of the maturing of your tank,don't sweat it.

Hopefully someone has a way to rid it besides what I mentioned,Good luck.

Any time you have ammonia your ph will drop.Ammonia is an acid.
As for the algae,Do you feed flakes and pellets? I found that when I was using those that I couldnt get rid of algae and cyno.I switched over to all frozen foods and havnt had any more problems.

Your most serious problem at present is the Ph. Test your alkalinity, oxygen, and DKH. let us know. Bring nitrates down with water changes. make sure you mix up your new salt water couple days ahead of time, at same temp as the main tank. Test it before adding to tank so you know what the parameters of the new water are. pour salt into water not water into salt. mix very well. You need to determine why your pH is low. could be the additional acids from moving the rocks. if so water changes will correct it. good luck

Sounds to me like Nedim is wanting to apply for the AFT club - no worries.. we are always welcoming new members!

Test again after you have let your tank settle from moving the rocks. Lots of junk hides under and in them - I am sure that threw the readings off.

Jhnrb, I'll try mixing the way you suggested. I'll test levels again tomorrow and let you know how it goes. Thanks for the advice everyone.

Adrastos-AFT Club?

Back