I think I have a pest!

Chris_150G

Reefing newb
I have been reading about Mojano Anemones on the site. The morning I noticed a little patch of green tentacles in a circle. Tonight when I shut the light off I noticed it now had a stalk that they were suspended from. I turned the light in to take a picture and it pulled beck to the rock. I have attahced a picture. Is is a mojano?

Attachments

• 11-28-09 091.jpg
    11-28-09 091.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 401
That definitely looks like either a majano or an aiptasia. Both are pests, so you should remove it.

I recommend a product called Aiptasia X. It has worked great on my majanos. You injects some of the paste into the mouth of the anemone, it's really easy to use. Others have tried using concentrated salt paste, kalk paste, lemon juice, boiling water and vinegar, but none of those have been nearly as effective as Aiptasia X in my tank.

If it is aiptasia, then peppermint shrimp will also usually eat it.

Thanks. That little thing grew fast and seemed to tripple in size by the end of the day. Ironically they are a nice looking pest. I'm getting some of that Aiptasia-x but for now I cut it off the rock and din't let any of it get in the tank. I expect there will be more. It showed up a couple of days after I added the torch coral.

Back