I think I have a problem

Massey

Reefing newb
But I am not really sure what is going on. I was having a problem with red slime last week before changing my water. I used some chemiclean which kinda worked. The Chemiclean tho caused my skimmer to foam really bad, to the point I had to turn it off. Now that I changed the water I have little to no red slime but I have alot of this green slimy stuff growing all over and there is alot of bubbles forming all over my tank. My lawnmower blenny does not seem to be eating it so I dont know if it is good to leave in there or not, and if not how do I get rid of it. It is all over my sand, castle, heater, and live rock. My skimmer is running again now that I changed the water. None of this is in my sump and I do have a light on under there for the live rock that is inside. Regular algae is not growing right now it all turned brown about a week ago. I know I need to check my tank parameters I have not done that in about 2 weeks and at the time it was just fine. I dont have the time right now but I will tomorrow after work. Also should I take the sample in the sump or the tank? I took the sample from the tank last time.

Any help would be great.

Massey

You may submit your application to the AFT to President Biffer. She will gladly accept. Welcome to our world!!

Weekly water changes and lots of snails...that's my suggestion.

Your sump should be plumbed in with your tank, if so the water out of the tank will be the same as in your sump. Algae is very normal in a new tank and yes very frusterating. I had cyno for two months before it went away. Well get your water tested and let us know the results and maybe we can help. If water is good you can try more water flow. Do you feed flakes pellats or frozen?

The nominee for the AFT club should go to my wife. she has a fresh water tank that we cant get rid of the algae and right now you cant even see through the tank.

But back to my tank what can I feed the Blemmy? He looks like he is not getting enough food.

Massey

P.S. I feed the clowns pellets and they eat all that I feed them in about a minute or 2. What makes it to the floor is eaten by the shrimp. Oh yea the tank is about 5 months old now.

Try switching to frozen, I did and my problem went away. Blennys are omnivores so the eat meat and vegetaion. My blenny eats the hair algae and mysis shrimp that I feed the other fish. My first blenny didnt get enough algae and wouldnt eat shrimp he ended up starving so I guess it hit or miss. I dont really know.

You supposed to turn your skimmer off when ever you use chem-clean.
Im betting that the dieing cyno is part of your problem now with the algae.It could have made your blenny sick too.
The one time I broke down and used chem-clean it killed me blue anthulia (sp?).
Like Bobby said,switch over to frozen food and that will help,if not cure your cyno troubles.

I would try to keep your nitrate/phosphate near zero and siphon what you can during water changes.I'm afraid of chemicals these days so never use any.

I agree with the advice above, try switching to frozen food and try to get your nitrates and phosphates as close to 0 as you can. Pick up some dried seaweed sheets at your nearest pet store, your blenny will probably eat that.

:( my blenny was found dead this morning :( He was fine last night swimming around and eating what ever he was wanting. His color was good and it changed like normal when he would stay around dark or light parts of the scenery. He would not eat any of the slimy looking algae I wonder if that was hurting him? I have to wait till my wife gets home before I can take some water to the LFS to see if I have something off.

Massey

My recommendation is to not add any more animals to your system until you can get your algae problem under control. Some algae additives used in a stength to do any good will also affect your biological bed. This may not be your case but you need to do a complete water test for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, calcium, magnezium, ph, oxygen, salinity, copper. also post any additives you are currently using or have used in the past 10 to 20 days. how old is your system, what animals are left. post as much information you can and I might have an additional comment or two for you. good luck (the solution to polution is dillution).

Dang it,Hate to hear about your blenny.
They usually wont eat anything slimy.My little Bi-color blenny loves to munch on hair algae but wont touch any other kind.
The only thing I know for a fact that will eat the slimy stuff is a sea hare.

OK I have one snail, one cleaner shrimp, and my first 2 clowns left in the tank. I have only lost 2 animals in the time my tank has been up and that was one snail and the blenny. I was not able to get any water to the LFS last night they were closed by the time my wife got home. I will go tonight. I will not be adding any fish till I know what is going on. My tank is about 5 months old now and so far I have not had any problems until the last water change, when the slimy stuff started growing. Also I do use R/O water when I make up my salt water for changes.

Massey

Back