I think it might be time to break down and get a Ca Reactor!

squibley2

Reefing newb
After trying to get my Calc above 400 with a kalk and water changes it seems that my corals are just way to hungry. I can't get my Alk over 7 or my Calc over 400 without using additional buffers. So I guess it is time to break down and get a Ca reactor and controller. Thoughts and suggestions PLEASE!

You know you can drip the white stuff for more potency on the kalk. you just have to do it slowly. if you are doing all the right things then sounds like you need to invest into a calcium reactor.

Yea John I just can't get my alk and Calc high enough without dosing other additives. Water params are as follows:

Ammo:0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:0
PH:8.2
Mg:1300
Alk:6.9
Calc:380
Phos:0

So I am thinking of just biting the bullet and getting a calc reactor and a controller, maybe even a proper Kalk reactor for nighttime dosing. I am getting great growth but want to get my Calc higher so that the corals have more available.

i don't know if this has any bearing but i use only seachem avantage calcium and seachem buffer it keeps my calcium at 430 and my alk at 8 i add at night on alternate days. for my new tank i am going to build my own cal reactor. its cheaper and i can make it the size i want

if you go with a calc reactor look at the Tunze Osmolator with the calcuim dispenser running in line with it. this will take care of the kalk and the evap water all at the same time. topping off water every day is a PITA if you ask me.

andy

Back