I think its dead, what is it? PT 2

OttoTheOrange

Reefing newb
I need help identifying this please. It does not look healthy :( i need advice on how to care for it as well. The light went out (on a timer) and i woke up to this. Do they close while the light is off,. is this normal?

Thank You,
Otto

Before:
IMAG0238.jpg

After:
IMAG0265.jpg

Those are palys, which are very tough so they will likely be fine. But what are your water parameters? Also did you change out or clean the sand when you moved the tank?

Those are palys, which are very tough so they will likely be fine. But what are your water parameters? Also did you change out or clean the sand when you moved the tank?

Thanks LF,

I did replace the sand Saturday(Day of move) with 25lbs of live sand. I have been testing the ammonia level 1 or 2 times a day since then. I use the test strips and they say that it's "Stressed". It only has two more quality's above stressed and one below it on the test strip. So i am assuming its okay and will bounce back, LFS said that it was normal? i bought these ammonia tabs at walmart, are they any good? I also had bought a ph test strips, but bought it for fresh water:frustrat: As far as the palys go, the ones i looked up since you told me all look to be colorful.. Mines not to colorful:shock:, are there different species? Also what are the long smoke stack looking things? I thought those where neat because of the snot like substance coming out of them! Are those palys also?

Thanks again LF :)

~Otto

The test strips are highly unreliable, I would go get a good liquid reagent test kit for ammonia, pH , nitrates and nitrites. Without knowing what those values are I can't tell you if the tank is in trouble or not.

Make sure you get a kit for saltwater and I would not use the stuff you got from Walmart.

Also there are many different varieties of palys, with the more colorful ones being more expensive usually

What about the smoke stacks coming out from the Palys? Are those Palys as well? I will go to my LFS and get a liquid one after work. I ran out of money and had to wait until pay day lol thanks for the advice!

Might be vermetid snails from your description, but those are the biggest tubes for a vermetid that I have ever seen if it is.

Thanks chichi! Here is a up close photo of them in my tank. I have to agree with you after looking them up on google.That's pretty neat you have never seen them that big before!:^: Thanks also biff for confirming. :Cheers: Can you two suggest anything to me to make sure they thrive in my tank? My palys are not liking where i placed them in the tank i think? They where opening up before i moved them to where my kenya tree use to be. Any help would be appreciated!

P.s.

Check out my red legged crab in the back ground lol

IMAG0267.jpg

Last edited:
I had a couple vermatid snails in my big tank that got huge. Like... diameter of a pencil. I would get rid of most of the other ones, but I let the big guys stay. :)

They're not a nuisance, per se. Sometimes their webs can bother corals, and some people don't like the look of them. They don't actually hurt anything though.

Back