I Think Me Cycle is Over

ReefyCane

SuperNewbie
Hi All,

Did a system check last night and found my salinity to be 1.025, pH to be 8.2 (after MH was off for 3 hours, it is usually 8.4 when the light is on), my ammonia was zero, my nitrites were zero, and my nitrates were around 20. My plan moving forward is to do a 5 gallon water change (I have a 30 gallon cube) and let it be for a day and then go to the LFS and get a CUC. Does this sound like a plan? I really need the CUC to get some of the algea and diatoms that are in my tank now.

So....what do you suggest for a 30 gallon tank (with a 10 gallon sump)? The guy at my LFS said small hermits were fine (even though my tank is going to be a reef). He also suggested some snails and a Peppermint shrimp?!

Let me know what you think. I am really feeling good about everything now...at first I kind of doubted myself, but the cycle went well, I kept my salinity in check and it looks like everything is ready to roll.

Thanks,
~RC

I also mentioned that I had something small that was very fast in my tank. I think it was an amphipod or a copepod. Also, I found a small crab (spider) like animal in one of the crevices of my live rock. He is sort of tannish/grayish and he really won't come out where I can see him well. I just really want to make sure he isn't going to be a "killer." I think it is about 1/2" at most in size.

Thanks again!

Ive got a 24 gal tank and right now I have a nassarius snail and 2 turbos, But I think i might pick up one or two more little snails today
And make sure you add stuff slow, im getting another fish today and thats about 2 weeks after I added my first 2 clowns.

Get about half a dozen nassarius snails to start (for the sandbed), one or two turbos (for the rocks) and a dozen astraea (for the glass). Hermit crabs are up to you, but they will kill your snails. Don't get a shrimp yet as they are extremely sensitive. I'd wait a month before adding a shrimp.

Get about half a dozen nassarius snails to start (for the sandbed), one or two turbos (for the rocks) and a dozen astraea (for the glass). Hermit crabs are up to you, but they will kill your snails. Don't get a shrimp yet as they are extremely sensitive. I'd wait a month before adding a shrimp.

That was along the lines I was thinking. Is there any hermit that *may* get along with my snails or will they kill them no matter what? Also, about the crab in the rock....could it be a hermit that doesn't have a shell? I am just curious because I have never seen him leave his crevice in the rock and was going to ask for some empty shells to throw in my tank.

I went home for lunch and did my water change....I am getting more and more excited. I will test my parameters again and will probably go to the LFS and get my snails tomorrow.

I also have amphipods and numerous copepods (they are really small!). I think my tank is doing pretty well. Also, is it possible that my coralline is getting in my sump? My return hose has purple and pink stuff all over it.

Thanks,
~RC

Definitely sounds like coralline in your sump. Hermits won't survive without shells. Sounds like a different type of crab that hitchhiked in. Check Melev's Reef - Visual Identification and check if you see something similar. All hermits will kill snails, but out of all of them, the blue legged hermits are the least evil.

Definitely sounds like coralline in your sump. Hermits won't survive without shells. Sounds like a different type of crab that hitchhiked in. Check Melev's Reef - Visual Identification and check if you see something similar. All hermits will kill snails, but out of all of them, the blue legged hermits are the least evil.

I have looked on Melev's site and I don't see a crab that looks *exactly* like this one. Of course this little guy will not come out and play....so that makes it even tougher to figure out what he is. I don't think he is hairy enough to be a gorilla, but the stripes on the legs and his relative reclusive nature tend to make me think it's a Pom Pom Crab...without any Pom Poms!!

No it's not really tiny. It is probably about the size of a nickel.

I may need to pull the rock out and get him outta there...I am concerned it may be something that isn't good for my tank. Any thoughts on how to get him to come out??

Thanks!

Last edited:
Have you noticed any "popping" sounds coming from the tank?
It could also be a small mantis shrimp.They tend to hide in holes in the rock.

does it have hairy legs?

It didn't really have hairy legs...some hair, but not anything crazy. It had black pinchers and they were serrated so I decided to toss him in my sump. Hopefully he can survive there.

I went to the LFS and got 6 Nassarius, 6 large astraea, and two trochus snails. I also got one blue legged hermit. Acclimated them for about three hours last night (luckily the LFS water was the salinity as my water) and tossed em in. I think they are in heaven right now with all the algae and diatoms in my tank.

I checked my other parametes tonite as well. No phosphates, my calcium registered at 340ppm (I am going to raise it), and my alkalinity was 11. Looks like everything is in good shape so far.

Thanks for all the help guys! My 120 gallon is on the way next week so that should be fun!!

~RC

So everything is going well with my CUC.

Couple of questions:

Do I need to feed my CUC?? I worry about my Nassarius snails because I don't know what they are eating...I do have some cyclopeeze if I need to feed them.

Also, will they eventually get rid of all my algea or if I see my algea remain do I need to get a few more members? I wanted a Turbo, but my LFS didn't have any when I went a couple of days ago.

Thanks,
~RC

I've never feed mine. The nassrius snails eat any crap in sand plus they'll eat algae that's in the tank. Mine will even climb the glass.

Nassarius really don't need to be fed if some kind of waste is being produced.If you don't have any fish then maybe feed it something meaty.Cyclopeeze will be too small.Mysis or a small piece of table shrimp will work.Get a turbo if you have hair algae.Only one is needed in a 30g.Good luck on the 120g.,now you have more to play with.

Back