nudy6969

RUSTYS BROWN DOUGHNUT
so these are my test results

1/31/08
PH- 8.3
Ammonia- .05
Nitrite- .03
Nitrate- 2.5

what should my results be, and is my cycle over?

both ammonia and nitrites need to be at 0 for a few days before you can call your cycle over, at that point a 20% water change and then you can start to add critters slowly...very very slowly.

do u think it would be ok to get a clown or a hermit tomoro, i have brown particles on my sand so it would be nice for a hermit to clean it up.

if you get a clown you can say bye bye to it with the damsel in there

the hermit doesn't clean the sand either you need nassarius snails to do that and ur not ready for them they need an established sand bed

well that is probably why they aren't zero, can't be sure

I thought you were going to get rid of him

well he is a blue devil damsel, the most aggresive damsel out there. but i have become attached to him, lol and i love his color, so i have decided i will give him a chance, if he trys to attack a fish i will take him out and give him to the fish store.

i guess he has to go, ill get rid of him and buy the clown saturday, and maybie ill also buy a blue hermit crap cuz i cant resist.

just make sure you wait until your cycle is completely done, add things slowly

remembered hermits irritate corals and kill snails for their shells so it's better to just get snails

I started with a small cleaner crew, a few hermits, a few astrea snails. Then I gave it a week, and when all my numbers had stayed the same, I threw in a pair of clowns

nudy6969:

I would advise if you want to keep your Damsel do it. I've currently got two Damsels (domino and four stripe) in my tank with a Clarki Clown. The clown is definitely the aggressive one - not the Damsels. They picked at each other a lot for a week or two but have since established territories and now stay out of each others hair. The longer I stay in the hobby and chop up special diets for some of the more specialized fish the more I appreciate my Damsels for what they are - colorful, hardy and super easy to care for. I've had a lot of more exotic fish in my tank over the years but the one constant has been a Damsel or two. I like 'em and I notice there are several new species coming on the market recently.

I've had mixed Damsel/Clown fish tanks for years and they've worked fine. A couple tips:

1) You don't say what type of clown you're interested in. There are many different species. They vary in size and agressiveness. A tiny little tank raised Percula may not fair as well with a Damsel as a bigger more aggressive clown like the Clarki, Tomato, Maroon......

2) I would definitely run with your idea of adding two more fish. As a general rule keeping odd numbers of any fish balances out the power. If you have a bully in the tank simply adding another fish can often cure the problem. Putting a single clown in with your single Damsel will likely result in a battle. Putting two new fish in at the same time should help.

Give it a shot and see what happens. You can always make a change down the line if you need to - especially since your tank is still so new.

Just what ever you do,DO NOT ADD ANYTHING untill ammonia and nitrite are both ZERO.
DO NOT get in a hurry to buy a fish,any fish.Give your tank time to settle down.

Back