I think we will see very high quality LED fixtures in the $150-$200 range next year.

Re: I think we will see very high quality LED fixtures in the $150-$200 range next ye

Okay then let's compare 80's Ferrari to 80's Toyota, the Toyota is better quality. No I don't own a Toyota either. I did own both 70's and 80's toyotas though. They were by far more reliable than the Ferrari.

What's you issue with comparisons? Fact is R&D in the field of LEDs is expanding rapidly, comparison with other products does apply as it does in other manufacturing and as the over all progress continues, value will spill over into our unique area. Affordable lights will be in our hands within the decade. What's the problem with that?

I don't have a problem with comparisons when they are made in context. So instead of comparing cars that are 30 years apart, you want to compare a high performance car to daily transportation? Still not a valid comparison. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, and assume that when you said Toyota, you were talking about the 3rd Gen Toyota Supra, since that would be the closest comparison to a Ferrari, and even thats a stretch. The 7M that was used in the Supra was a great engine, when the head gasket stayed in place, which was not very often. Ask me how I know

The price of LED's for our tanks will definitely come down, but you will never see a fixture like a Radion, with the same build quality, and customer service of a Radion at the $150 price mark - the company wouldn't be able to stay in business. If somehow that did come to pass (and I dont think it will) by the time it does, there will be some other replacement technology to take its place. They're already working on plasma based fixtures, and one company even offers a lens that goes on the outside of your house, collects sunlight, and focuses it so that your tank is lit by natural sunlight

Last edited:
Re: I think we will see very high quality LED fixtures in the $150-$200 range next ye

You make a good point about another technology being in the works. Once something else becomes viable, the companies producing the LEDs will want to sap every dime out of the technology as it becomes antiquated. Thus driving prices lower to eliminate stock and recoup R&D costs as well as more profit.

I don't see another technology on the horizon in the foreseeable future though. I didn't predict flat screen TVs either so who knows!

I don't see another technology on the horizon in the foreseeable future though. I didn't predict flat screen TVs either so who knows!

Solar tube lights (aka periscope sunroofs) are making an entrance into the reef aquarium trade.
However, it is still lacking certain elements of practicality specially for those who do not want to punch holes in their roofs.

Back