I want a clam

Toolman

RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH
28 gallon JBJ NANO-CUBE CF-QUAD up and running over a year can the tank support one and what kind have been looking at Saltwaterfish.com they say yes but again they are in the sales end not into crashing a tank by putting something in that will die in a month. :question:

Clams need high light output, and with only cf lighting the best clam for you would be a derasa or squamosa(sp) clam...they don't need as high lighting as the other clams.

I want a clam too but with the amount of food it seems to need I was worried it would junk up my water trying to feed it.

I never read anything about it needing high amounts of light though, guess I need to do some more googling.

They do need higher lighting than corals, but you can keep clams successfully under t5's. Metal halides arent the only lights you can keep them under.

Clams need metal halides. Clams and anemones have very high light requirements.

I don't think so. I have always had crocea clams under T5s. In my 90, I've had a clam for a year and a half, happy as can be and growing. Prior to that, I had 4 clams in my 55 under T5s.

And since November, I've had a crocea clam under PCs in my 3 gallon pico tank. They are not as light demanding as some people think, IMO. Definitely not in the same category as anemones when it comes to light requirements.

Yea I want a clam too. So cool looking. But I don't know if I can have one in my nano. I have PC lighting

To be honest, clams are light intensive. So, if you have stock lights from your nano, I would be worried, the saquamosa would probably live. Ive got 4 and mine do well under the LED's I have but havent had them under PC's before. They do chew up a lot of calcium though so be prepared to dose in a small tank if he is a decent size

I some how doubt any of you are talking about a longneck but it never minded the light that the ten gallon tank came with. we got the t5s for other stuff. I feed my clam but I have a lot of filter feeders so they get fed all at the same time :)

Ya, the are talking about this kind of clam

ultra_max_tyree_ser.jpg

I dont think your is photosynthetic

Ohhh, those clams. Yeah I used to buy those from the fish market. They don't need light, they actually prefer to bury themselves in the sand and stick their tubes out and filter the water. They're good for phosphates and nitrates removal.

Back