I want a goby

Oscarsdad608

Reef enthusiast
I have almost all argonite with some crushed coral. Everytime I have done a water change lately I suck what I can off the top. Will I be able to get a goby that will stir up the sand. Also what would be a good kind? I am getting sick of the dead spots. No matter how much flow I have I alway see spots that seem like they are not getting much movement.

How much crushed coral are we talking about? If there is lots, than a sand sifter will do you no good.

Diamond Gobies are great sand sifters.

Saltys right.If you have quiet a bit crushed coral,sand sifters cant do their job and starve to death.

There really is not that much left. Some spots there is a inch left and some is just sand. I will keep sucking out the crushed coral with my water changes since the crushed coral seems to make its way to the top when I turkey baste the bottom.

Sorry it is 90 gallons with about 4 to 5 inches of sand and the tank has been going about a year since it was a 125 but we didn't have space. The 125 was up for three years and the 90 was a year old when we moved and I combined the substrate from both tanks, thats why there is a mix.

Ahh, ok, gotcha, I think a goby would do fine in there. is your tank open top?
If so be careful with jumpers, I'm sure someone will chime in with a diamondhead goby suicide story...

If so be careful with jumpers, I'm sure someone will chime in with a diamondhead goby suicide story...

Or two! I am boycotting diamond gobies forever. Picked up one at my LFS a couple months back. Seemed to acclimate well to my tank, dug it's little burrow, etc. Lights out. The next morning, Tard (as he was named) was on the floor. Went back to the LFS and bought a new one. Same story. Next morning, Retard was on the floor.

And I have eggcrate over my tank!!!

My tiger watchman took a liking to carpet surfing to.
Their great fish with a lot of personality,But for some reason they think they can fly,and love to slide across the floor.

There are a lot of different snails that will stir the sand.
Conchs like to bury themselves in the sand.Then theres cerith snails,nassreass(sp?) snails.
All of which are great additions to your cleaner crew.

Third time's a charm, boys. It's spelled: nassarius :)

I love nassarius snails. They do as good a job as any goby, in my opinion. I have about 30 of them in my tank.

my first diamond goby took the plunge to the living room floor in the first week that I had him. got a second and so far he has stayed on the wet side of my tank. had him for 10 months.

Never heard of those,so cant help there.
Just add enough to control algae.If you add more than you need and get a bunch dieing off at once,they can cause problems.

They are for sale on ebay and a friend would like to go in on a buy with me. I would only add what I need but thats alot since my snail population isn't that high anymore. I have not added any in a long time and had a hitch hiker crab I think was eating them all.

Back