I want a maxima clam. Bad idea?

Solarfall

Totally Gnar
I hear they're pretty difficult to keep, and my tank's only like 5 months old now.
I have plenty of flow and lighting. About 3000 gph and 500 watts of halides in a 55 gallon.
I've been doing really well with corals. So far I have a leather, some zoas, a plate coral, and a hammer. Havn't had a single problem with anything coral related.
Nitrates are pretty stable at 5 ppm.
Calcium at 450.
PH:8.2 / DKH: 11
Ammonia/Nitrites: 0

Only test I don't have is phosphate.

So what do you guys think? Yay or Nay on a clam?

50/50
Your lighting is good enough. I have had good and bad luck. I have one that I have had for 2 years and another for about 2 months. Recently I got another and it died after 3 weeks. I don't know the secret with them still. The only way to know is to try your luck.

Alright cool, I'll probably get one on Wednesday.

Didn't know whether to post here or in inverts. Since they're photosynthetic I thought maybe corals was a more suitable forum.

When you go to purchase it ask to see the bottom of the clam, You want to make sure that the foot is healthy. also make sure that it reacts to your shadow.

The biggest cause of death for clams is the damaged foot. Also you shouldn't pick the clam up out of the water, they will sometimes get an air bubble inside and not be able to get it out.

Good luck!

Clams are not corals, but they are inverts. It can be confusing because corals are inverts too, but there are still a lot of inverts that are photosynthetic that are not corals.

Back