I want a nem for my Clowns

Djturna4thakidz

Reefing newb
I have two ocellaris clowns, and to me it looks like they are always trying to find an anemone to bed in. I have several corals that resemble anemonies, like a torch coral and cup coral. I would like them to have an anemone. Is there one in specific I should llook for? Will the clowns take to the anemone? or is there a chance they will just ignore it and continue to hang out in the corals. Thanks

I know others will have more info, but generally there is no guarantee that clowns will pair up with an anemone.

If you've never kept an anemone before and want to try one, I'd suggest a bubble tip. They're the hardiest of the clown hosting nems and can be found in some amazing colors, also it's a natural host for them in the wild. The clowns may take to it or they might not, there's no garauntee in an aquarium setting.

I have two bubble tips( after mine split ) put one clown in and it hosted a powerhead in the corner of my tank instead.. turned the lights off moved the powerhead and he then took to the nem.. like was said above there is no guarantee just hope for the best..

ture just hope for the best. It took my clown 3 months befor she even went close to it.. She started to rub on it. But still .. Stays away .lol good luck . - i also have a green bubble tip anemone.

Ive read that different species of Clowns prefer different Anemones. It relates to what they live with in the ocean. There are tons of compatibility charts and they do not all agree on everything. But if you look at several it might help you to make a match that has a greater chance of working. I've noticed that the false percula tends not to be put with the bubble tip on the charts. It is usually with the nastier Nems like the Carpet. But there are plenty of Youtube videos with false percs in bubble tips.

Links to three charts:

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ca/volume_3/cav3i1/Clown_anemone/Clown_anemone.htm

http://clownfish.webreefs.com/clownfish_anemones.php

Clownfish Anemone Compatibility Chart

Last edited:
My clowns love everything, biting hammer and candy canes, sleeping in the candy cane cradles.. jeez mine are crazy little gits.:frustrat:

Back