I want a nem!

clancaster23

Reefing newb
My tank has been active for a good 10 months now and I believe it's ready for an anemone to join the crowd but I'm not sure what I can get. It needs to not kill the few corals I have but from what I read, not a whole lot are reef compatible or at least from what I understand. I did have a bubble tipped a while back but it was basically a mistake as I added it to a pretty new tank and it died. Now I know better and am looking for some opinions on what kind to get.

Well, that all depends on do you want a clown hosting nem or not, and what lighting do you have?

Whether they host or not is not a really big deal to me although I wouldn't mind it but it isn't one of the requirements to getting one. I have two 216 watt T5's over the 75 (432 watts) and two T5's totaling 252 watts over the 40 so the 40 right now gets more light.

Well, for a beginner nem clown hosting I'd get a BTA. Non-clown hosting rock flower anemones and maxi-mini anemones are very hardy and great for a first nem.

I did see both there today and I was actually going to get a rock flower but held off. Wish I had now. They did have a BTA but it didn't look real good at all so I backed off. Now I have a couple options anyways. Thanks!

Yep, you do. If you do get a nem this early for your 40, I would suggest the rock flower as it can handle the fluctuations in a newer system much better.

Yes, I wouldn't go through that again so if I did get the BTA, it would be for the 75. Can I have both of those in the same tank or is it one nem per tank?

They're small enough that you could get away with both in your 75. It's probable that you could do it in your 40 but, I wouldn't try it unless you were running a decent amount of carbon and a skimmer on the tank.

maybe has a similar fixture

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/216W-Aquarium-Light-Fixture-Reef/dp/B004OOJZ8Q[/ame]

i doubt hes talking about 2 actual bulbs maybe they mean two fixtures?

Last edited:
Whether they host or not is not a really big deal to me although I wouldn't mind it but it isn't one of the requirements to getting one. I have two 216 watt T5's over the 75 (432 watts) and two T5's totaling 252 watts over the 40 so the 40 right now gets more light.

I honestly believe that the entire lighting situation needs to be re-visited.

The red statement sounds more like a 4 bulb (54 watt bulbs) 48" fixture

The Blue one just doesn't make sense since no bulbs fit into the range once it is divided by 4, 6, and 8

Ok, to explain:

Two four bulb fixtures over the 75 at 216 watts each.

Over the 40 I have a 36" four bulb 156 watt and an extra 24" four bulb 96 watt fixture totaling..... 252 watts! Now I do realize that even though the 24" light doesn't actually span the whole tank, with it and the 36" light, I feel there is plenty of light over the tank for an anemone.

I'd say you will be perfectly fine with a BTA as they are very hardy. Ive had mine split twice so I have 3 happy nems for each third of the tank. They haven't moved since adding them so no killing corals.

Back