I want an Angelfish

PRC

Stop Quoting Me!
I'd like to get a large angel fish for my tank...Any recommendations, obviously a reef tank, what have you had luck with? I'd like something with some blue colors.

Last edited:
There aren't any large angel fish, besides the planktonic ones (like Lamarck's angel) that are reef safe. Those guys just don't go well with corals.

Ha,Ha, see thats what you reefers get...no angel for you:D:mrgreen:
Oh heres one:sfish:

Last edited:
I see the scribbled angel on Liveaquaria..But he's $650. Damn. Looks like its back to the drawing board.

I've already got 2...I want a bigger fish...I know I could get a flame or coral beauty but I'd like a nice colorful swimmer that gets 8" or more.

You could always TRY a big angel. They have a tendency to eat some corals more than others. An old member here (Doc) had an angel tank, but he could only keep a few different types of corals.

I've got a couple of tangs. Yellow and sailfin. They're doing good. I orginally had put a deposit on a Naso...The day I went to pick him up, he had ich already...So I left him at the store and went with the Yellow..I'm done pushing my luck with Tangs.

That Achilles tang is sweet though..I've never seen one.

You can always do as i do, say screw :shock:what everyone says about angels and just get one and let it eat what ever it wants to. Or go without.:frustrat: I have a few angels and they live in a reef tank. They do ocassionally nip at my softies:frustrat: but thats the chance I was willing to take knowing that angels eat corals. I want to get an emperitor but also know it will more then likely eat coral,:shock: but I am willing to take that chance. Angels are a 50/50 chance,:Cheers: Good luck with your decission:bowdown:

I have a solution,you can send your coral to me and i'll tell you if my angel eats it......chances are he will(or at least thats what i'll tell you:mrgreen:)

Doc was able to keep mushrooms, leathers and some LPS. Zoas and SPS are definite goners around big angels. If you want to gear your tank in that direction as far as corals go, it's worth a shot.

I've got a couple of tangs. Yellow and sailfin. They're doing good. I orginally had put a deposit on a Naso...The day I went to pick him up, he had ich already...So I left him at the store and went with the Yellow..I'm done pushing my luck with Tangs.

That Achilles tang is sweet though..I've never seen one.

The Achilles is a difficult tang.Seriously,keep checking the Diver's Den at Live Aquaria.All the hard work(QT,eating) is done for you.

Something that seem to cut back the coral nipping by large angels,is keeping a couple of live tree sponges in your tank.A lot of times angel fish will eat the sponges over the corals.

If you are dead set on an angel I would recommend a n Imperitor, they can be good if they are got as a Juvi. Its still risk and some nipping is to be expected. You want to keep them WELL fed tto keep the nipping at a minimum

Watanabei angel. Awesome blue and will possibly get to 6". Mine is active and loves to eat. She is peaceful and doesn't bother anything. I will get a male when I go to the next tank.

I had a couple angels in my tank that were perfect citizens for 4 yrs then all of a sudden went to coral munching. I had to tear the tank apart to save my reef. I`ve taken the "NO Angels" pledge. I have heard the Lamarks angel is reef safe.

I love my Flame Angel..
FlameAngelWMA_Ap8SA.jpg

Back