i want my own tank!!!!!!

flojo

Reefing newb
ok so im super tired of reading everyones build threads and being wicked jealous of not having a tank of my own. money is an issue tho. i was really considering a nano for a while because of the instant set up and lower maintenance and wat not. i just assumed it would be a good place to start. but i think i would much more prefer a tank from scratch. i wont have a ton of money to start out with but am definitely committed to wanting a tank now....

so i guess my questions would be 1. should i just go with a nano cuz its cheaper and easier and smarter for a newbie (and no i dont want the easy road out but i am definitely a newbie and want to be smart with anything i get and would hate to jeapordize anything i put in the tank just cuz i didnt know) 2. should i go with the tank cuz its wat i really do want and to me the experience of learning from scratch would be far more rewarding than a set up system and i know that no matter wat it will be a learning experience and 3. wat is the most cost effective way to start this cuz im sick of waiting and researching....

thanks guys, i appreciate your feedback

Actually nanos are much more difficult than larger setup.Stability,heat and frequent water changes are some of the reasons.When something dies in a nano,it can crash the whole system.

If all possible start with something a little bigger.Maybe a 30-55g. will be much easier to maintain.Check your local Craigslist and paper for deals if money is tight(isn't it always?).I see complete set ups here for $100 for 55g. all the time.Use caution,of course and haggle,I always do.Another way is to just start with fish and live rocks w/ standard lights,good lights can come down the road,if corals interest you then.

i didnt know that about nanos....i guess i get so used to red's tanks that i dont know a ton about them. i feel silly now.....that would suck!

yeah and i really want the larger set up just because there are so many more possibilites with fish....the smaller the more limited obviously. thanks...ive been trying to keep my eye out but i definitely could be more active...i think im also just waiting for one to magically appear on my doorstep....a girl can hope right?

I'm not saying you can't do it,just if you can go even a little bigger than the better.Yeah,larger tanks opens the doors to more options.

Even sometimes the LFS has good deals on use setups.Keep searching,do you have a budget in mine?

im thinking after christmas...realistically ill have about $150 to start with....granted, thats if nothing else comes up in my life...lol.....and i definitely want bigger primarily for more live rock, coral, and fishies!!!!!!!! i was reading up on fish and it seems if you want anything even slightly cool or unique you gotta have a 55 or more....am i right?

Yeah go with a 55 gallon,even if it takes longer to get there.Seriously,you should be able to find a use setup for that amount.

What city do you live in?I'm going to check your city's craiglist.

boise idaho..... shes sitting right next to me, wee have looked tonight, she posted a thread because im not good enough to ask for advice :) just kidding

You've checked Craiglist in you area Red?

I've just seen a 55g. complete reef setup in Nashville for $150.PC lights,pumps,heaters,filters etc.Cheap,cheap cheap......I might have to run down there and get it for myself.

nothing like that yet. saw a 120 with stand and canopy for 250. thats a pretty good price and it looked great. but no complete reefs under 600 or so. plus she wants to start from the ground up

shes sitting right next to me, wee have looked tonight, she posted a thread because im not good enough to ask for advice :) just kidding

lol lies from red, i was asking him and he was too distracted cuz he was learning about octopi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so i turned to you guys!

yeah our craigslist isnt doing us much good...ill be moving to nashville soon:) but the search is on:)

yeah i saw that one....if i had $225 at this moment id be all over it....looks like im taking back everyones xmas presents and getting myself a tank. i may have to starve to do it but thats ok! im going to start my own legal panhandler system outside of stores like the santas from salvation army! only not so legal....and maybe not quite as worthy a cause....subject to opinion of course.

ok you guys are posting things way bigger than i was thinking....im ok with that, but is that smart for a first tank? 120 seems big...im all about a nice big pretty tank, but i wanna be smart too....does it really matter the size?

Yeah,I'm taking the rest of the week off.I'm self employed after all and I have a lot of family coming Thursday for the holidays.

The 125....EVEN BETTER!Really Flo,both are a steal,jump on it!

ok you guys are posting things way bigger than i was thinking....im ok with that, but is that smart for a first tank? 120 seems big...im all about a nice big pretty tank, but i wanna be smart too....does it really matter the size?

Well,it was only $75 over your budget.It has everything to get you started.

Big iz gooooooood!

first.....i need a week off

second.......i would love to...yet again, no money...
:lamp5:maybe i could set up a payment plan with the sellers!!!!!!!

first.....i need a week off

second.......i would love to...yet again, no money...
:lamp5:maybe i could set up a payment plan with the sellers!!!!!!!

There's a thought.
Maybe 1/2 now and half later.Make sure you get a written receipt and get the tank.

or....

were you thinking something dirty?I'll have to find out tomorrow because me sleepy....good nite.

Back