I want to get a Tang...what kind?

Hiker4twenty

Reef enthusiast
I'm getting a 75g tank on July 18th. I would like to have 1 Tang in the tank, but I'm not sure which ones would be good for that size tank. I would buy a small juvenile one so it has time to grow. Here is a list of what I'm thinking about getting. Please feel free to suggest a different one I may not have listed or to tell me if any I have selected are not good.

1. Scopas Tang
2. Kole Yellow Eye Tang
3. Convict Tang
4. Mimic Lemon Peel Tang
5. Bristletooth Tomini Tang
6. Chevron Tang
7. Two Spot Bristletooth Tang
8. Mimic Eibli Tang

all of those would be ok in your tank, (not at the same time) the convict tang is super tiny, all in all you shouldnt have a problem with any of those choices:Cheers:

Kole tangs are great because they stay pretty small. I had one for years (until he died in a rock slide in the middle of the night :cry:). I, personally, would pass on the scopas. I just think they're ugly. They're boring and brown.

Yeah, I have never spent more than $120 on a fish. That would be a tough buy for me to swallow! I wouldn't try one in my 90 since I already have 3 tangs... But if I ever had a larger tank (or if one of my tangs died) I'd be willing to give one a shot, I think.

Yeah if I could get a decent deal on one I might get it for my next tang. Gotta talk to the manager first. It will be either a chevron or a desjardini

Desjardinis are hard to find in my neck of the woods too. So pretty, but I never see them at the LFS. I have a regular sailfin. I'd rather have a desjardini, but it's okay. I'll live. :D

I had a desjardini before I had a mini crash/cycle in my tank and I loved him. Got him for $20 as well. I can get a good deal for most fish at the store though.

I have a dejardian sailfin, he is awsome but somtimes can be an ahole to others... One of the more fasinateing Tangs to me is the Tenenitti or Lieutenant tang.:mrgreen: For some reason it reminds me of walle the cartoon:shock: dont even ask me why cause i dont know myself:shock:

Out of your list Hiker,my vote goes to the Yellow Eye Kole.I think they are pretty and stays small.Don't forget to check out it's cousin the Blue Eye Kole.

Since you are only going with one tang.What about the Purple Tangs.They don't grow very big and are such slow growers.

Thanks for all your feedback. You've given me some great suggestions. When I get the tank up and running at the end of the month I'll be sure to let everyone know what tang I decide to go with. And a new tank thread of course.

Back