ice fire echinata

reefnoob

Reefing newb
How hard are these to keep? The internet has mixed opinions over them. And I think they are one of the "smooth skinned" acros that don't take to dipping well or something like that. So then what type of dip or precautions would I use for this? And how are the growth rates?

I had one once, but it didn't last too long in my tank. They seem to be a lil more finicky. Good luck with it.

The fire ice is a smooth skinned, thin branched acro...it is blue and generally the blue and purple colors are the hardest to keep colored up well....If you plan to dip it do so in a gentle dip like very very dilute Lugol's iodine. I would suggest checking it very well for redbugs under heavy magnification and then quarantene for 7 days before another magnified inspection, iodine dip then into the tank....NOTHING less....one good outbreak of AEFW or RedBugs can be from aggravating to devastating....

If you don't have a good magnifyer you can get one at Radio Shack...if you need examples of RedBugs I can pull up an old photo I did...as for AEFW (the devil's own spawn) they show up with your acros all suddenly starting to die with little white spots everywhere...they are really nasty...

hey Mitch whats AEFW, as well as care sharing the pics of red bugs? I just started building an acro collection and would like some more information. Thanks in advance

AEFW = Acro Eating FlatWorms....they decimated a beautiful reef I had going for several years...I let my guard down on quarantine and NEVER will again.....

Redbugs can be soooo tiny they are virtually impossible to see, but I was able to get this macro picture....now I just gotta find it....I will post it shortly...

hmm thanks guys. I'm picking some corals up this weekend, prob most acros and will be sure to do a dip

This is an unfortunate little frag I got from a friend because it was sick....turned out it was crawling with bugs...
RedBugs_zps1c1e7016.jpg

A few Interceptor dips, a week and a half of quarantine and luckily they were cleared off and this is what the little piece eventually turned into....
IMG_4425-1.jpg

I can see yellow, pink, blue, green, purple and tan tips!!!

Interceptor gets the redbugs and I don't know anything about conclusive removal of AEFW...You would die if you saw the pieces they killed.....Amazing acros so well established that the STUMPS were as big as 3 1/2 inches across after I broke all the limbs off in frustration....

Back