Ich but Maybe Not

sen5241b

Reef enthusiast
This Yellow Clown Goby started looking sick and losing his color and looking whited-out 2 weeks ago. The spots appeared only a day or two ago. Usually ich spots come much sooner, right? None of the other fish look ever so slightly sick. We did not add anything to this tank several months before he started looking sick.

DIAGNOSIS?

YellGoby.jpg

if he is eating, let it be. Poor fish looks pretty bad and i fear trying to catch it will be the end of it. Although in his case, he could really use medication in a QT, i just dont know if he is strong enough to make the transition. He looks weak.

WHAT TO TREAT WITH? I think its fungal. Even if those white spots are ich, it was probably brought on because he was already weakened. FURAN-II or copper?

I would go with the Furan-II I think it is also an anti fungal in there. I treated some clowns a few years back with it and it worked great. Looked better in two days once all the spots fell off.

Got him QT'ed and treating with Coppersafe.

nice. let us know of its progress. Remember to change the QT water at least x2 per week to keep it fresh since you dont have any real filtration. I had a clown not eat for 3 weeks in the QT but finally she recovered.

Keeping my fingers crossed!

nice. let us know of its progress. Remember to change the QT water at least x2 per week to keep it fresh since you dont have any real filtration. I had a clown not eat for 3 weeks in the QT but finally she recovered.

Keeping my fingers crossed!

Doesn't look like he is eating in the QT tank (actually a 5G bucket). Sometimes I wonder if the whole QT process is worth it when you consider the mortality rate of fish in QT and the fact that sometimes un-QTed fish will recover when left alone in the main tank.

The clown goby croaked. My new Purple Fire fish had big white patches on him and what was clearly a dark spot on his skin that looked like a parasite. It was getting progressively worse over a week. I out "Ich Attack" in and the next day it was 90% improved.

Doesn't look like he is eating in the QT tank (actually a 5G bucket). Sometimes I wonder if the whole QT process is worth it when you consider the mortality rate of fish in QT and the fact that sometimes un-QTed fish will recover when left alone in the main tank.

The weird things is that i have never had a sick fish make it in the DT and the once that did recover made it because they were being treated in the QT.

Remember, if the fish is sick, it will prob not eat. The copper is fighting the parasite, if the fish can survive without eating until copper does its thing and the parasite is gone, it will eat again.

My clown that got ich didnt eat for 3 full weeks but she still survived the QT process and ate again after recovery. She is a tough little thing.

whats important is to be able to know if a fish is just too weak to be transferred to QT or if it can handle the transition. Your fish looked really weak!

The weird things is that i have never had a sick fish make it in the DT and the once that did recover made it because they were being treated in the QT.

Remember, if the fish is sick, it will prob not eat. The copper is fighting the parasite, if the fish can survive without eating until copper does its thing and the parasite is gone, it will eat again.

My clown that got ich didnt eat for 3 full weeks but she still survived the QT process and ate again after recovery. She is a tough little thing.

whats important is to be able to know if a fish is just too weak to be transferred to QT or if it can handle the transition. Your fish looked really weak!

My fish don't eat in QT either. You are supposed QT for 6 weeks. What fish can go that long without eating?

My fish don't eat in QT either. You are supposed QT for 6 weeks. What fish can go that long without eating?

yes 6 weeks but the fish will eat again if it recovers, its only when its sick that it wont eat. so the parasite could die within days or weeks, it all depends. By the time the fish recoveres from the parasite (IF it recovers) its going to be starving. My fish pigged out of food after the 3 weeks.

Back