Ich infected, quarantine tank needed

peppermint shrimps wont clean off ich parasite, and cleaner wrasses are obligate parasite eaters and will starve in your tank.

If you keep your fish free of stress, they wont get ich. Its just like people, when you are overworked and stressed, you get a cold. So keep your fish stress free by feeding them high quality foods, dont overstock, and keep good water conditions.

Neon gobies have a short life span (appx 1 year) and most don't survive very long in aquariums. I think you will be disappointed and don't think it will serve the purpose you are looking for. As LF says, keep your fish stress free and you won't have a problem with ich.

Regardless what any of you say, I will be keeping my regal tang, it is not a standard 75 gallon, it is 7 feet long. So I Beleive that it is not the reason, I know the cause of the stress, and I will not be redoing that ever again. Ive learnt from my mistakes and I am very disappointed with the lack of help I am getting here, rather than being critizes, can my question be answered, if I were to add all te fish to a quarantine tank, how Big would the tank have to be.

You could have a 100 foot long 75 gallon tank and the fact of the matter is you are still over stocked. You are asking questions that have fairly simple answers, and you're getting upset when we don't tell you what you want to hear.

You tank is overstocked, overstocking leads to stress, which leads to fish coming down with ich when it is present in a system - especially ich prone fish such as the Hippo tang

You can get a neon goby or a cleaner wrasse, but they will only consume the ich that is on the acutal fish. There is a whole seperate life stage of ich that does NOT live on the fish. Neon Gobies and cleaner shrimp wont help here.

You can either pull everything out and do copper / hypo in a QT and leave the DT fallow for at least 8 weeks, or you can reduce stress, which will allow a fish to stay healthy and fight off the ich on its own

You could have a 100 foot long 75 gallon tank and the fact of the matter is you are still over stocked. You are asking questions that have fairly simple answers, and you're getting upset when we don't tell you what you want to hear.

You tank is overstocked, overstocking leads to stress, which leads to fish coming down with ich when it is present in a system - especially ich prone fish such as the Hippo tang

You can get a neon goby or a cleaner wrasse, but they will only consume the ich that is on the acutal fish. There is a whole seperate life stage of ich that does NOT live on the fish. Neon Gobies and cleaner shrimp wont help here.

You can either pull everything out and do copper / hypo in a QT and leave the DT fallow for at least 8 weeks, or you can reduce stress, which will allow a fish to stay healthy and fight off the ich on its own

<response removed due to inappropriate language by little_fish>

Last edited by a moderator:
Bwahahahah...ahh man, that's what I get for not keeping up with this thread...I knew it was gone be on & poppin'!!!!!!

Maybe I should tone down the hard love responses I have been giving

But seriously - 10 fish in a 75 with ich, and then he thinks they'll all be okay in a 20 gallon QT for 2 months?

Apparently fish stores will sell to anyone these days :bounce:

Nope..."Hard Love" has been known to save animal lives, like the time little_fish & I went at it about putting a pb tang in the same tank with a powder brown tang. I didn't like what i was hearing, but I'm sure as hell glad that i listened!!!

on that note, did you end up getting one or other? They had a really nice huge powder blue at the LFS today and i had some major tank envy.

Hey fish, I went with the blue...he was a 6" butthead in the 150, but now plays well with others in the 220. I can't wait to get everyone out of quarantine. I've got 4 qtanks running copper. It ridiculous. 43 days left to go.

Back