ich or velvet?

2008pollyanna

Reefing newb
Well, my blue tang has cloudy eyes, and earlier today had some white spots that looked like they were under the skin, but now the spots are unnoticeable. He had this issue a couple weeks ago, and seemed to get better. Also about that time we needed to be away. We then were gone on a 5 night prearranged vacation and left our son to hold down the fort. So anyways the tang seemed to be getting somewhat better in color. And, at that time, my grammy was looking tough. She looked dusty and war worn if you know what I mean. Her coat seemed kinda puffy and not shiny or smooth. War worn. A lil beat up like. I mentioned to my son, not to worry if we had a casualty. Not sure if the tang had ich. Never heard of it before until I started reefing. From what I have read, ich looks like its on top of the scales.... but his almost looked like it was under the skin. And it appeared as if he was kinda dusty. While we were gone, the grammy did pass away. My son didnt realize it. We found her the following day after our return. I think the brittle star had her under the rocks with him. She was ate about a third of her.
Well, now my clown is looking tough. Dusty, unsettled, and high respirations. I have a 10 gallon quaratine tank. Should I move him the clown? I have malachite green. I can read the dosage for this lil 10 gallon. Is this not ich?
No experience in fish disease. I also have a 6 line wrasse, no signs yet. And a red hawkfish, who a couple weeks back had high respirations and was skimming the side of the tank up and down like the tang. Again that was a couple weeks back. Red Hawk looks good and acts normal presently.
I also have a large strerilite 22 gallon tub. Should I set that up for the tang with the cloudy eyes and the sick clown? Or should I put the sick clown in the 10 gallon and leave the tang in my 46 bowfront? Or should I just let them sit it out and get better on their own? Who thinks this is ich? Or is it like Velvet?
:frustrat:

Hard to tell what it is without pics. But I do think you need to do some water changes in case the gramma caused a spike in parameters (which could make the other fish sick). I would try the water changes first, and use quarantine as a last resort. It is very likely that the tang has/has had ich, since it's a highly susceptible fish in a rather small tank for its kind.

Thankyou Reeffreak...that website is great. I believe it is Brookynella Disease. Now, it all starts...oh my....at least I know what to expect.

Back