Ich??? **pics**

Now I got this one from wikipedia, so who knows the creibility of this one but it also speaks to the carbon theory in detail a little bit more:

Removing carbon from the filter is a commonly suggested remedy for the disease. It is suggested that the carbon may either a.) add fine carbon particles to the water that irritate the skin, b.) leach phosphates and other potentially harmful chemicals into the water, or c.) remove minerals that are important to the health of the fish. Though there have been many reports of affected fish recovering after carbon has been removed, no studies have substantiated these theories, and most aquariums use carbon while still having healthy fish

Last edited:
Alex, just do what im going to do.... Buy a nice voltmeter, put it on credit and return it!! Just dont lose the receipt!

thats good news.... im almost hopeful i have voltage so i have something to fix. if i "dig in my pockets and come up with lint" ill be pissed because that will fuel the frustration.

So I tested the voltage today. My meter only had 200v selection for ac, so really if I got a reading at all it would only potentially intensify it. So I checked and 0 volts.... this at times ranged from a half of a volt to -.1 volt. So I'm positive there is no stray voltage. I already have a very varied diet going on but I guess ill try some new things too.

Setting up a water change tonight and found out my pump I use for my trash can no longer works :( that was a spendy pump too. I bought it for a sump... Still haven't used it for anything but to circulate water change water, so that bums me out.

found this too.... my carbon is officially out as a precautionary.

The carbon theory is probably one of the most hotly debated concerning the cause of HITH. The idea is that the carbon used to remove harmful toxins from the water actually causes the disease. At first this may seem absurd and contrary to what you have read or been told, however when you take into account the number of cases of HITH directly related to carbon (i.e. HITH appears when carbon is introduced and disappears when carbon is removed) it is hard to argue with it. Many studies failed to produce results when testing for the carbon theory, as many fish with carbon in the tank did not come down with the disease, and this has lead to it being somewhat discredited as a real cause. In my experience the cause does not come so much from the carbon itself but from carbon dust. When carbon is shipped to the stores it is jolted and jostled across the country hundreds or thousands of miles in the back of a hauling truck. As the carbon particles rub against each other carbon dust is formed. Anyone who has ever used carbon knows this as the black sludge that comes off when it is washed. Improper or unthorough washing of carbon can lead to that dust being introduced to the water. This in turn causes the disease, so when the carbon and more importantly the carbon dust is removed the HITH goes into remission. Another theory is that prolonged use of carbon causes many vital trace elements to be absorbed, and this deficiency in the water leads the fish into the illness.

getting ready to go to my moms work, how about yourself

Dustin, Last I checked this was a serious thread. Not the least bit off topic. I highly appreciate your extremely helpful comment, however next time dont waste the energy it will take for you to type something like this out. (meaning dont let there be a next time) or go start a pointless thead for attention.
madfawk.gif

regards,
Alexander

so whats up

Well I was going to treat the tank with melafix. Then the owner of my LFS gave me some EXTREMELY useful information, and I left without any disease treatment. Jack in fact does have HLLE for sure in the areas that I was concerned about, or should I say had HLLE. I have looked at pics from almost exactly a year ago and there has been no spreading of the scar/wound area, meaning I have stopped that disease. I just become a huge worry wart when it comes to situations like this and start imediately panicing (not quite as bad as our dear friend Hotimportknight, who sadly hasnt been around in a while) The guy at my LFS was not quite sure about his gill, but his best guess off the picture showed him is exactly as Biff said, that it could be from just bumping up on a rock due to the clumsy swimming that comes with these fish. He suggested I dont just rush things and dose the tank if there is no reason and wait to see if the area on his gills gets bigger. If it is actually a parasite of some sort I will treat it with melafix. Till then I have been stepping it up on the Selcon and really focusing on diet more so than before which was a huge concern (probably why I have stopped his HLLE) and focusing on very frequent water changes. Ill keep you guys updated on that as it goes away :x: , or gets worse.

Like is said, no stray voltage to my knowledge and carbon has been pulled out for now as a precautionary.

Last edited:
Good to hear Jack's not getting worse. I hope that you can nip this thing in the bud. I know how much you (and Jill) love that fish. He is in our thoughts!!

If you have to treat him, will you quarantine him? Or dose the whole tank with Melafix?

Unfortunately I will be left with no option but to dose the entire tank. I have no QT and the largest hospital tank my LFS has is a 30g.

Wow that sucks! But I guess Melafix is the lesser of all the "evil" medications out there. Maybe you could move any inverts you can grab ahold of over to your other tank in the meantime, just in case?

Back