Ich!

crazymman

Reefing newb
I think my yellow tang has ich. I noticed some white spots on his tail fin and upper fin. Just noticed this a few hours ago. Don't see anything on the 2 clownfish so far.
Here's what I've done so far.
I soaked some spurlina(sp?) in garlic guard and fed it to him. I also placed a peice of garlic algae in there.
He's eating like a horse still but seems more active than usual. Like he's adjitated.
I was doing some reading and i think I read that ich stays in the sand bed. I may have stired it up when I was adding the rock. I don't have the money right now to start up a QT tank right now. Any thoughts on what I should do or if what I've done so far are the right things to do?

Keep doing what you're doing, except the stirring of the sand, that's unnecessary. As long as he's eating and active, he'll fight it off himself. Good luck :)

Well my tang is still eating real good, but still has some spots on him. He seems to be getting better slowly but surely though. The clowns still have no spots on them and are fine. I'll keep an eye on him and keep ya'll updated.

Good luck with him,i just dealt with it a few months ago.It was my one and only time! If you choose to live with it in your DT,as alot do,be prepared to pamper that YT whenever anything stresses him out.I have learned alot along the way aboout ich,and some fish have better ways of handling it,but tangs are close to the bottom of the list.I lost my chocolate to it.

Well my tang still has spots on him and tonight I noticed some on one of my clowns. This is getting really depressing. Is there any chemical out there I can use? I've got to get rid of this somehow.

David is right. You will have to remove all the fish from your tank if you want to treat any of them for ich. There are only two ways to cure ich -- copper or hyposalinity. Both of these need to be done in a separate hospital tank, and for either to be effective, every single fish must be caught, removed from the tank and treated.

Back