Ick Treatment

^^^^^^^^^^^^
I miss fatman!

Word on the reefs is that he's been banned recently from one other major site, and is hanging by a thread on another (majorest) site, one comment away from being banned there. He spewed a lot of misinformation and was wrong about a lot of things he said, and was a bully. Sorry if you miss him, but there seems to be a pattern here if he's batting 0 for 3 so far. Mods on other sites aren't tolerating him either.

Why did you buy a fish that you thought might have ick. Isn't that like running into a daycare and grabbing some snotty kid and rubbing his snot rag all over your face.

it didnt look like it had ick at the store, but then again they had like 15 clowns in like a 30gal... they just got them in the day before so i figured it would be ok.... right now the clown is just hanging out in one corner of the tank, he doesnt seem like there is anything wrong with him so i hope he will make it. I did a water change yesterday, probably like 25-30% of water, and i was thinking about doing a freshwater dip. Should i do that or just let him be for now?

^^^^^^^^^^^^
I miss fatman!

If your clown has ick then it's probably directly related to your water quality. Check your parameters and do some water changes. Soak his food in garlic and hope he gets better.

If you want him to have a better chance against ich and you dont have inverts or corals you could treat your tank with hypo-salinity.

Tell me more about this soaking in garlic. Full cloves? Crushed garlic? How, specifically?

If I treat my tank with hypersalinity, will the live rock survive and be able to sustain inverts at a later date?

Thanks for any help. My tank is in trouble.

CMOS :disappoin

qt the fish and treat them with copper for at least 4 to 6 weeks and leave the dt tank void of fish for 6 weeks and you will rid yourself of ich unless you add a fish with ich on it.

qt the fish and treat them with copper for at least 4 to 6 weeks and leave the dt tank void of fish for 6 weeks and you will rid yourself of ich unless you add a fish with ich on it.

Kinda figured I'd get an answer like that. This means in order to catch those 2 little fishes I'll have to remove ALL of my live rock to net them. :grumble: What a mess.

CMOS

just do not add any rock or sand to the qt the copper will ruin it if you do and the ich can not live without a host so by leaving the tank void of fish they will dieoff but it takes some time. i have never had ich in my tank but have seen people battle it because the bought fish that were never in qt

just do not add any rock or sand to the qt the copper will ruin it if you do and the ich can not live without a host so by leaving the tank void of fish they will dieoff but it takes some time. i have never had ich in my tank but have seen people battle it because the bought fish that were never in qt

Dougherty,

If I allow the diseased fish to die, will the tank still be "diseased"?

CMOS

yes but if you leavethe tank emoty for at least 6 week all the ich in the tank will die but if you addd a fish that is carying it it will be back in the tank again. you can always qt all the fish that you buy in a copper water for a few weeks than add them to the main tank bu doing this you will never have ich in your tank again maybe in the qt but not in the main. some people think that fish just get ich out of the blue but it is a parasite that once killed will not comeback unless it is reintroduced to the tank. i will not add fish to my tank uless they have been qt'ed at the lfs in copper. my lfs keeps all fish in copper for 4 weeks before they sell them.

yes but if you leavethe tank emoty for at least 6 week all the ich in the tank will die but if you addd a fish that is carying it it will be back in the tank again. you can always qt all the fish that you buy in a copper water for a few weeks than add them to the main tank bu doing this you will never have ich in your tank again maybe in the qt but not in the main. some people think that fish just get ich out of the blue but it is a parasite that once killed will not comeback unless it is reintroduced to the tank. i will not add fish to my tank uless they have been qt'ed at the lfs in copper. my lfs keeps all fish in copper for 4 weeks before they sell them.

Your LFS must be top notch Daugherty.

I'll have to give some thought as what I'm going to do. This is a depressing start to a reef tank......

CMOS

Your LFS must be top notch Daugherty.

I'll have to give some thought as what I'm going to do. This is a depressing start to a reef tank......

CMOS

they care about the animals they sell. just do not put inverts or coral in copper they will die.

Back