ick

margaritaville

Reefing newb
I think my sixline wrasse has ick, I noticed some small whit spots on his fins and body. any suggestions on what to do/how to treat,
thanks
eric

Ick (Cryptocaryon) is almost always present in an aquarium and infects fish that are in poor health or have had a recent infection that has temporarily left them without certain immunities. Ick can soon become visible on a fish if the fish's natural resistance is weakened from shock, unsuitable water conditions, over crowding or an improper diet. a fish that has been recently added to the tank can also be a carrier of ick. The best way to prevent ick from occuring is to maintain optimum water conditions, provide a proper diet, and allow a two week quarantine for new additons before placing them in the main tank. - The life cycle of ick is usually three to five days, during which time it releases itself from the fish and floats to the bottom of the tank. at this stage the parasite reproduces by cell division. the new juvniles number from 100 to 1000 and then free swim in search of a new host. it is during this period that the proper medication can kill the juveniles before they find and infect a new host. in other ick infestations the disease may be covered by fish mucus or skin, and thus, will repopulate on the same host fish. -If treatment is started early enough the fish usually can be cured of ick. the key is to quarantine the fish before the juvenile spores are released into the main tank. - A fish that has contracted ick will generally have a few small white dots on the fins or body. as the disease spreads, the fish will have the appearnce that it has been sprinkled with salt. other symptoms of ick may include the fish scratching against the gravel, rapid breathing, cloudy eyes, cloudy fins and or some fin deteriation. - Dont confuse ick with Amyloodinium. ick usually has distinct individual pin head sized white dots. Amyloodinium spots are smaller and clustered closer together, which gives the dusty or velvet appearance. Dwarf ick reporduces at one third to one half of the adult size and can be easily confused with Amyloodinium. - The fish should be treated in a separate hospial tank. medicate the hospital tank with a proper marine medicine such as malachite green, aureomycin, benzaldehyde, quinine hydrochoride, or quinine sulfate. Follow all manufacturers instructions. turn off all the aquaium lights and keep the hopital tank as dark as possible. increase aeration to ease breathing problem, and increase temperature slowly to about 85 degrees, at a rate of one degree every five hours. maintain these conditions throughout the treatment period ( at least 10 days). once treatment is completed filter with carbon and start lowering the temperature at one degree per 5 hours until you reach the main tank temp. move fish back to main tank as if a new arrival and acclimate as usual. hope something here helps.

great reply as usual.I am not if a six line will let a cleaner shrimp help but you might try one.Others here have said that UV steralizers will help.

Thanks for the info guys. Maybe ill try a cleaner shrimp for now, my quarantine tank is not cycled yet. should I take any liverock out of the quarantine tank when i medicate?thanks

Also can i treat the ick in my display tank, since the ick could have already released to the bottom. I hear some medications contain copper, which is lethal to inverts, do i need to remove my snails and crabs and or live rock to treat.
Thanks again :bowdown:

medications could also kill your bacteria population. best to medicate in quarrantine tank. yes remove all rock go bare bottom in quarrantine tank. you can tape dark paper around three sides and partial front to simulate a cave etc. once you have completed the medication cycle you will need to tear down the quarrantine tank and clean it completely before using it again.

of course you could add a couple cleaner gobies, and shrimp to try and do it naturally but you will have to identify the cause and correct it. unless just a new addition brought it in. hope something here helps.

Back