Ick

Shadechic23

Reefing newb
What I have learned!!! If your tank is near a vent that air is coming through it creates a draft. Which can cause the fish to get ICK. Best thing to do it move the tank. It will help.

Actually have a draft near the tank would be a good thing, it will help keep good oxygen exchange and will help keep the tank cool. If the draft is causing the temperature of the tank to change rapidly, that will stress the fish causing them to become ill. Stress is pretty much the #1 cause of any disease. So if your fish are getting ich, you have a problem.

I would highly suggest checking this article to get some real information on the causes of ich.
https://www.livingreefs.com/oh-no-have-ich-do-do-t30950.html

Mine don't have ick. My mother in-law fish kept getting ick.
Someone told me about it being near a vent. An it was. She moved the tank from it an NO MORE ICK. So apparently it work.
She has a filtration system in the tank that is suppose to help with it an it never did. And when we moved it hey the ick be gone. lol

+2 lilfish

Please research. Ich will always be in her tank, but won't always show up unless the fish get stressed (kinda like humans -- the more stressed we get, the more likely we get sick because our immune systems are down -- but of course, we'd have to be exposed to the virus first). The ich no longer shows on her fish after moving because they're no longer stressed. Most of us have ich. but we strive to keep our fish as stress free as possible and keep our fish healthy. Read that link lilfish posted.

Ich is a parasite. It is not caused by a draft. It doesn't go away when you move a tank, either. That's like saying being out in the rain will make you catch a cold, and if you stay inside, you won't get sick. NO. Being exposed to a virus gives you a cold, it has nothing to do with the weather.

Back