ID help

Sharkie

The Damsel Defender
hello!

so today i noticed this stringy thing on the side of one of my rocks that my new eel (Malo Kelekona... kona for short... means sea dragon in hawaiian :D) dug a hole under and out popped this... thing...

I'm not sure if its a type of anemone or what but it eats mysis shrimp... i don't know what it is, my pep shrimp won't go near it so i'm thinking its not aptasia... ignore the green :p it was stuck in my brush and the thing grabbed it :l its the brown squiggles

IMG_0007.jpg

this is the best pic i could get with my dying camera, i will try to get a better one but its in a bad spot :grumble:

also, My water is really really white all of a sudden, it seems that one of my feather dusters (a different one) got its mouth bit off by.. you guessed it my eel and i wasn't home. I got here and there were guts and a headless duster... and let me tell you that was one of the most digusting smells i have EVER walked into D: UGH! YUCK and BLECH! lol. never will be too soon if i have to smell that! it was pretty gross lol... and i've dealt with some gross fish things let me tell you!

IMG_0008.jpg

anyways here i go rambling, i did a 40% water change, checked all my levels and everythings okay... but my fish started dying! D: i have no clue why, i've lost bob my tomato clown, a few little feeder fish for kona, and my little sand goby, any clue as to why this is? everything checks out okay but my water appears really white... all thats in the tank currently is my coral beauty Sally, Omen II, Kona, Marley and Sunny my damsel.
what should I do? I haven't added anything new... fish or LR. no change in routine or nothing... i'm stumped.... could the duster have caused this with his death? like i said i changed the water after i took him out (and fished out all the nasty body parts... ewwww) but i'm not sure how much their death can foul up the water... enough to take out my fish? i know my eels not going after them since they are the ones chasing him around.. lol he seems afraid of the feeder :p

any clue what to do?

on a good note, i found a small colony of star polyps growing on the backside of one of my frags :D

Water changes always help. Sounds like you have a bacteria bloom going on, probably from whatever was dead in the tank. Did you check your ammonia?
What fish, exactly, are in your tank. Nick names don't help. ;)

That first pic looks like an aiptasia to me.Not all pepperments have a taste for them.
The only things I can think of that will make the your water a cloudy white color are calcium precipitation or a bacteria bloom of some kind.I dont know if the featherduster caused it or not.I've not known of that happening,but I guess it could.

lol i have a coral beauty, a snowflake eel, a clown, my mandrin, and a few damsels...

i'm having mom pick up some peps... i have had a small battle with aptasia before and these didn't look the same to me, but what do i know LOL.

hmm... the calcium levels are right at 440... is that too high maybe?

i wouldnt add anything else until you find out whats killing your fish. your calcium is not to high, have you added anything to your tank recently? rock? chemicals?and how long ago did you start your tank?

tanks been up since dec... i haven't added anything new at all, in fact, i got homes for a lot of fish becuase i was getting way to many for the size and my 50 isn't finished its cycle yet. i try to stay away from chemicals...

i took in some of the water and the tests came back fine... i have no clue whats causing this, i have my eel in a tank to see what happens tonight... i don't think hes the problem though since everyone is mean to him

Sharkie,Lets try something.
Try doing 10% once a week for a while and see how that goes.I think that by doing 20 to 30% every 2 weeks,you may be shocking your tank.Smaller more frequent water changes arent as hard on your animals and stuff as bigger changes further apart.

hmm okay i shall try that and see if it works, my mom brought home some meds for the anemones and some are already shrivled looking which is good... we'll see how things go!

i will fersure... i have no clue whats happening as well as the lady at the LFS... bizzare since all my levels are 100% okay :l

I think what you have are "hair worms." I have some of those too.

The Cirratulids sp - aka Hair Worm are beneficial scavengers. Hair worms are often misidentified as spaghetti worms. They live freely in the sand and in rock crevices. There are two types of Hair worms, one with tentacles that extend from the head region to capture food and the other without feeding tentacles that feed by swallowing sediment particles and detritus. In addition they have gills along the body that extend out of the substrate. They reproduce sexually and given the right conditions can become quite abundant.

See second post in this link:
http://www.saltwaterfish.com/vb/showthread.php?t=205613

Last edited:
thanks, those definately aren't hair worms though i've seen those to know what they are... my friend whos been doing tanks for over 15 years came and said they look to him like a very large aptasia and i am just gonna med them out

just to be on the safe side do you have a volt meter. i would check for some stray voltage it could be there even if you dont get shocked. but if the conditions are right you will get lit up if it is there.

just to be on the safe side do you have a volt meter. i would check for some stray voltage it could be there even if you dont get shocked. but if the conditions are right you will get lit up if it is there.

oh my no I don't! i didn't even think of that! :shock: we had the power go out about 4 days ago here and i made sure to unplug things until it came back on elsewhere in the house. i am off to the LFS today to have another water test to see if anything changed over night, i zapped those nems with some meds and they are all mostly gone, except for the biggie i couldn't reach without tearing the tank apart :grumble: gotta find me a needle to stick it with... I will def get one of those, i don't wanna be zapping my poor babies!

everyone made it though the night so thats a good sign to me (the last few nights fishies have been disappearing :( ) i'm hoping its something fixable/catchable... pray that its not a mantis shrimp hiding somewhere in my rockwork snatchin' em up... my clown and my sixline both disappeared night before last and there were NO bodies... poor guys.

i'll keep everyone posted, thanks for all the help!

Back