ID stuff on my lrs

wontonflip

I failed Kobayashi Maru
Is this black stuff bad? what is it, rotting stuff? And in the second picture...the red stuff....is that another type of coralline, or something bad? I haven't poked at it, so I don't know if it's slimy, but it's flat, and doesn't look like that red bubble algae thing.

smlrgrowth2.jpg

smlrgrowth1.jpg

The first could be anything.Decaying matter,brown diatom mix in or just the color of the rock.I wouldn't worry.

The second looks like coralline.

So even if it is decaying matter, it won't cause an ammonia spike? So far so good though, my levels are all at 0ppm.

I've got just snails and crabs, around 12 of each...not enough I know...I wanted to build up to the recommended amount slowly. Tank seems to stay pretty clear, except for a few specs of things floating arount. I've got a ton of q tip sponges growing all over the place, including one big one under a rock.

I don't know if I'm spending too much time staring at the tank, but I keep seeing new corraline growth :) Then again, maybe I'm just staring too long, willing there to be new growth LOL

I know a couple of places where there is a small bunch of red coralline growing...tiny amounts that weren't there before. I'm hopeful! My calcium is low though...it's at around 350ppm. I haven't done anything to raise it since I didn't have any corals anyway. Should I try to raise it with kalk so I get more coralline?

Back