ID this Crab?

bjohanson1234

DSC01325.JPG

I found this crab shell on my sand bed today. Was wondering if anyone had any idea what kind it is. Its body is 1/4 inch. I havent seen the live crab but the shell is empty so I beleive that it just molted. If it is not good to have in a tank with corals, I have a bubble, mushrooms and zoas. Let me know and a good way to get rid of him. Thanks.

It came hitchhiking on a piece of LR along with some stometalas and atleast one chiton. IDed those on Melev's reef but didnt notice thise crab on there.

Brian

Last edited:
I can't tell by the pic.

Where did I read that pointer claws=bad and curve smooth ones=good.If you haven't found anything missing than it should be reef safe.It almost looks like a type of acro crab,maybe.Reef safe if it is.

yeah who knows im sure it is based on the size of it, but i have no idea what kind of crab it is maybe porcelain, just hard to tell off an molted exoskeleton. looked through some books and didnt really find anything too close.

I'm not sure but if I remember right form when I read up on crabs when I found one in my tank that pointed claws mean they eat meat and might be a coral eater, and I think the red color means there bad. I can't say for sure though it has been awhile since I read up on it. JHNRB might be able to help. He gave a couple of link to some good reads that helped me out greatly. I think there might be something on them in the helpful articals. Good luck.

Thanks

I havent noticed anything missing yet. If I see him I will try to get a good pic of him. He is still too little to mess with any of my fish but If he keeps growing, he might think they look a tad bit tastey

Brian

I would doubt it is an acro since they live on SPS from what I read and I dont have any SPS. Not ruling it out but makes it a little less likely

Brian

I would doubt it is an acro since they live on SPS from what I read and I dont have any SPS. Not ruling it out but makes it a little less likely

Brian

Yeah,it would be a far stretch to be an acro crab.they are tiny like your pic and I saw a dark band across the head.

Sorry Bobby,you can't type faster.

Back