ID this? Sick fish?

Nonfamous

Reefing newb
Okay, so I'm a complete disaster lately. First with the cyano, then equipment problems and now this. Its the spot in its purple area, below the dorsal fin. My damsel has a spot that looks a lot like this, I just cant get a picture of it. Its on its other side though. Hope this is a good enough picture!

DSCN1647.jpg

I was afraid of that. Well as long as they are eating and behaving normally I'll have to cross my fingers and hope for the best.

Thanks.

They seem to be eating okay. Actually, the GR was a PIG this morning! Would adding a cleaner be okay with the current state of my tank? Since they are bottom feeders, would the cyano effect them negatively?

Well, my RG isn't looking so great this evening. No doubt that it is ick now. He just doesn't look well. I know there are treatments, but I do not have another tank or the equipment to run one. Looks like I may lose him. So, if I do during the night, will it be real bad for the other fish?

After a good nights sleep by the fish, the RG is looking better this AM. Still has signs of ich, but was more animated and ate really well. Yes, I fed two days in a row. Wanted to be sure he was okay before I blacked out the tank.

There is no problem with feeding if you have sickie, its a good thing to do. And keep your chin up, as long as they are eating, they have a pretty good chance of getting better.

So the tank is blacked out. Went to the LFS and talked for a while dies ribbing my troubles. I'll post different answers to different questions I the proper threads of mine.

I told him about my ich situation. He suggested using Metronidazole to help them out. He said Is not a cure, but would help them recover more quickly. Have you ever heard of this stuff? Any good? He said it won't hurt coral and by running carbon you can pull it all out of the water.

Metronidazole won't do a thing for ich. It is an antibiotic, so you don't know what bacteria it could be impacting in your tank. Since ich is a parasite, and not a bacteria, I don't understand what one has to do with the other, and I have never heard of metronidazole being used for anything having to do with ich.

It's interesting you folks say this. I was Just reading an article in Aquaruim Fish International, by Johnath E. Freedman Ph.D., in which he states that a Protazoal infections such as ich and velvet, should be treated with Metronidazole. He also states that is has minimal antibacterial activity.

What do ya think?

My fish all had ich at one time. I used some ich treatment. It seemed to do worst for the fish. As long as you are feeding them good foods they should be able to fight it off by themselves. Good luck. I hope it turns out better than mine did.

also i know this sounds horrible and I have never personally done it but my friend did. Its called freshwater dip. What she told me is you put the fish in freshwater until they are laying on their side gasping for air and then put them in back in the tank. It sounds like torture to me but she has had great success in getting rid of ich doing this.

I've read a lot about the dip method. I personally feel that since stress is what brought on this episode, stressing the fish more would not be a benefit to it. Also, since it is obvious that I have it in my tank a whole tank treatment would be of some benifit. I do know that the only way to rid the tank is for it to remain fish less for 8 weeks or so. I do not believe this will rid my tank of this. All I am trying to do with this treatment is to help the fish help themselves.

Back