Ideal Water Flow

Wes888

Reef enthusiast
I really don't like my current power head setup. The fish seems to hide in the slowest water flow area most of the time. I see lot of video from other people's tanks. Most of the fishes swim around and don't seem to have much strong flow in the tank. I'm considering taking out most of the power heads and drop in a few PVC pipes with or without some flow accelerators. My tank already have a return pipe at the left corner. Maybe I'll add one on the right pointing to the front and a little downward. And another one in the middle? What would be a good setup? My tank is 48" wide, 24" tall. Since it's a bow front, the narrow parts on the side is 12" and the middle is 16".

fish-tankclean800.jpg

Last edited:
i have a ton of flow and the fish love it i move about a 60x tank volume i think the more floe the better it keep all the crap in the tank suppended in the water so the skimmer can get it all out if it starts to settle it can lead to big water quality issues. JMO

The fish you have, or at least what I can see, are not open water swimmers. Having 4 clowns in that size tank isn't a real good idea. They aren't a schooling fish and they will fight each other probably until there are only 2 left. Cardinals usually just hang out in a small area and don't cruise the tank. There is a lot more flow in the ocean than we generate in our tanks. Flow is not a problem in your tank.

Got 2 chromises but they are hiding under some rocks on the right.

fish-chromis800.jpg

2 of the crowns are gone. It's sad to see them go. When I first got them, they all swim together all the time. Lot of fun see them play.

fish-4crowns800.jpg

"Hey, look, he's taking picture!"

fish-2crownPics800.jpg

Last edited:
Now that last shot of the clowns is cool.:D
Capts right,The reason your fish arent all over the tank,is bacause of the types of fish you have.

hehe, thank you. They seems to be very interested in my camera. Every time I take pictures, they always swim across in front of me.

What kind of fish is more of a open water swimmer that would fit into my tank?

Any of the smaller fairy or carpenter wrasses,Maybe a coral beauty or flame angel.

Thanks Yote. Just ordered a couple of Carpenter's Flasher Wrasse. It wasn't in my shopping list before since it was $50 each! liveaquaria just put it on their weekly super special sales for $25! :)

I ordered it from liveaquaria and they didn't give me a choice on male or female. I ordered 2 and hope they can get along.

Back