Ideally, what should I test for in a reef system?

Lizardgi

I used to have lizards
So I've recently discovered that my API test kits are all expired, and I'd like to place a new order today. I'm going to for sure order Ammonia, Nitrate, Nitrite, pH, and Calcium tests. Would phosphate and KH also be helpful? Would I really use them?

0ece1bfd.jpg

You could limit yourself to just a few but imo if your going to do it, go all out.
I have....

1.Ammonia
2. P.H
3. Nitrate
4. Nitrite
5 Calcium
6. Phosphates
7. KH

Cha ching....this hobby gets expensive

You don't really need to test for phosphates, unless you think you are having an issue with them.

Good water quality should keep them in check, I don't test for them at all. I have a limited amount of SPS, alot of LPS, and a lot of shrooms and zoas. My tests include:

1) Amonia
2) Nitrite
3) Nitrate
4) Calcium
5) Magnesium
6) Alk.

I have a Ph meter, so no test for that either.

You will need to test for the basics as well as anything that you dose, i.e. BRS 2 part, B-Ionic, baking soda.............

You don't really need to test for phosphates, unless you think you are having an issue with them.

Good water quality should keep them in check, I don't test for them at all. I have a limited amount of SPS, alot of LPS, and a lot of shrooms and zoas. My tests include:

1) Amonia
2) Nitrite
3) Nitrate
4) Calcium
5) Magnesium
6) Alk.

I have a Ph meter, so no test for that either.

You will need to test for the basics as well as anything that you dose, i.e. BRS 2 part, B-Ionic, baking soda.............

Indeed.....i HAD.... a phosphate problem...HAD being the key word:mrgreen::Cheers:

Back