Ideas on new reef fish?

DAvis

Reefer Madness
Hey all! I have just moved from a 28g to a 65 gallon w/20 gallon sump/refugium. I currently have 2 false clowns, 2 Bangaii Cardinals and a Diamond goby. The tank also has a nice Duncan and Torch coral, as well as Zoa's, candycane, mushrooms and green polyps. I have nice caves and hiding places, and will soon put light and chaeto in the refugium.

I'd like to add a couple more fish, maybe a nice trophy fish :D . I want to stay on the tank bred, but I might look into some of the (good) MAC certified fish. Everything in my tank now is aquacultured, tank bred, fragged, or from someone elses tank except the Diamond Goby (MAC).

I though Dwarf Angels, but I think they would nibble on the LPS. Maybe Assesors. I'd love a tang, but I think my tank is too small.

Please, any and all suggestions you may have!
Thanks!
David

Look at the wrasses(mystery is my fav)....maybe a royal gramma...maybe a couple purple firefish..do you have inverts? ..maybe a blue spot puffer or some type of hawk too... if you don't have CUC inverts ,that is

Oh my! The Blue Spot Puffer is beautiful! But, alas, no. I was looking at wrasses too. I just came back from my lfs ( www.abcreefs.com shameless promotion, if you're in the Syracuse area!). One of the guys showed me all the ORA stuff that had come in as well as MAC certified. He had a Striped Blennie, that would work beautifully. So... he's acclimating as I type! I would consider the gramma and firefish if they are MAC certified! Thanks Matt and Erin!

I love my blenny I have a midas blenny just the sweetest most interactive fish I have ever owned. It took her a few days to feel safe and now she is the center of attention at all times.

If I am gazing into the tank just looking she will swim RIGHT in front of my eyeballs so I cant see anything else LOL

Thanks Amber! My Goby was miffed at the new tank mates! He did something I never saw. He opened his mouth so wide, and held it so long, as if to roar, "Get out!" He has darted at the Striped Blennie. I am trying to tell him to be careful with Mr. Fang! Hopefully they will adjust. The harassment is minor, but I will monitor closely. The Blennie is trying to find a hole to make his/her own. Very funny seeing him trying to back into a hole in the rock. Love this fish already!

Anthias. There are several different types. You can keep 1 male and several female as a harem. Nice colors on them and reefsafe.

Thanks PRC, they are indeed beautiful! I was just looking them up after you mentioned them. Some of them, like the Dispar, are listed by Quality Marine as 'Difficult'. Do you know why? They look like they eat anything, so live food isn't really an issue. Just wondering. What kind do you have? Can you mix species, as long as only one is male?
Thanks!

Look at the wrasses(mystery is my fav)....maybe a royal gramma...maybe a couple purple firefish..do you have inverts? ..maybe a blue spot puffer or some type of hawk too... if you don't have CUC inverts ,that is

HEY I didnt know if you knew but they mystery is on sale right now from LA for 79.99.

The issue with anthias is that they have very fast metabolisms and need to be feed a few times a day unless they are in a very mature tank.

Also, you can mix species as long as there is only one male. From my research of them, they seem to best in the harem system, i would not keep them in a group any smaller than one male and two females. Im sure that they can live in smaller groups, but they seem happiest that way.

If you cant find a male though, one of the females will turn male after a few weeks in the tank.

Dispar Anthias can be difficult to start eating. I've never had an issue with squareback anthias. They do recommend multiple feedings per day for Anthias, I do 2 small feedings per day. Morning and night.

The squareback is a hardier fish than the dispar. They can be a little aggressive, they don't actively go looking for trouble, but if trouble finds them, they won't back down. But for the most part, it's not an issue.

I also love the lyretail anthias..the colors on them are sweet. I just can't seem to locate them around here. The pink color of the squareback is almost neon it's so pink...which adds some nice color to the tank.

HEY I didnt know if you knew but they mystery is on sale right now from LA for 79.99.

Thanks Brian, I do all my livestock through my local guys. If I didn't have them around, I would be ordering from LA, I love their site and their fish bios.

From my research of them, they seem to best in the harem system, i would not keep them in a group any smaller than one male and two females. Im sure that they can live in smaller groups, but they seem happiest that way.

That's great info! We wanted a Dragonet from ORA, and even though they feed on frozen food, our tank is young and doesn't support a lot of (copo & iso) pods. Also, I don't think I can handle 4, 5, or 6 new fish. Happy is important!

Thanks PRC, that makes sense. I have have inherited this difficulty with the Striped Blennie. I think because of the groups, I may have to avoid the Anthias right now. You're right though, the Lyretail is awesome! Thanks for your ideas.

Back