Ideas tips suggestions for 29g

Saltlearner

Reefing newb
I have a empty 29 gallon with 55g power filter, an air stone and pump, two glass heaters, and a marineland led light. I also have access to live rock that has been out of an active system for about 6 months, it was stored in buckets of freshwater (good or bad?). Any tips or suggestions are welcomed thanks in advance.

Since you are setting up a new tank I would rinse off that rock in some RO/DI water and use it during the cycling of the your tank. How much rock do you have access to? You want 1-2 lbs of rock per gallon for your biological filtration. Are you going to be using sand or going bare bottom on the tank? If you are using sand I would rock scape to your fancy put in the aragonite sand with a depth ~2 inches and then fill it with saltwater. I personally wouldn't use the air stone(not necessary) or power filter. I would get a powerhead to stick in the tank for circulation. The rock probably has enough die off to start the cycle but you can also throw in a piece of raw table shrimp to help kick start the cycle.

What other questions do you have?

Back