Identification Help?

jupiler

Reefing newb
Can someone help me identify this thing in the picture? I started out with just one back in January, and now I can spot at least 25 of them in my tank, I want ot make sure it isn't bad. I wasn't too concerned about it until I saw two of them with mysis shrimp in there "mouth"? Is it going to harm my coral / anenome?

Thanks!

Attachments

• What is this.jpg
    What is this.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 353
Those are aiptasia anemones. Bad, bad, bad. They will harm the other animals, they have a powerful sting and spread like crazy. Get rid of them ASAP. You can buy some peppermint shrimp, they'll eat them. Or mix up a thick paste of sea salt mix and water and smother them (only do a few at a time so you don't raise the salinity in your tank too much). You can also inject them with a syringe full of boiling water or lemon juice. Just get rid of them ASAP.

Well...that kinds bites :( I've been watching the thing grow / spread like crazy for the past few months thinking it was some kind of cool feather duster :frustrat: I'm sure glad I asked!

you can also buy a product called "Joe's Juice" which nukes them. You just have to be careful not to get it on any of your nearby corals or you will nuke them as well. One shot and they are just dead

-Doc

Back