Identification Help

galonso52

Reefing newb
I needed some help identifying some pieces that have grown in my tank. One is green and another is red like ballons.

I also needed some advice whether I should add more live rock. I currently have about 40 llbs. My tank is 54 Gallons and I have read different things about having any where between .5llbs per gallon to 2llbs. Here is a picture of the complete tank.

Attachments

• Bubbles.jpg
    Bubbles.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 262
  • Complete Tank.jpg
    Complete Tank.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 249
i cant really tell by the picture what that is ... could you possibly get a closer picture ... on the LR issue i would say you should bump that up a bit maybe another 15 lbs ... good rule of thumb is 1 to 1 1/2 lbs per gallon

I can't really tell what the red thing is, but the green thing looks like bubble algae. (Is it a hollow green bubble??). If it's bubble algae, you can carefully remove it by hand, being careful not to pop the bubble in the tank. If you can take out the rock to get the bubble off, you should do that. If you pop the bubble in the water, it will release algae spores. Also, emerald crabs will eat bubble algae, so if you want to upgrade your cleaning crew that's a good way to go.

You will probably benefit from more rock, as you said, 1 to 2 lbs per gallon, but I think it looks good, and if your water quality is good also, you don't need to. If you do want to add more rock, I'd suggest adding some dry rock instead. Dry base rock is so much cheaper than live rock, and once you put it in your tank, it will turn live in no time.

You probably "should" add some more rock if you are able. your tank looks to be pretty full, if you can add a few piece then by all means do it.

As for the growths the green is definately bubble algae, and Im thinking that the red is also, if not I would say that is a macro algae of some kind. Follow biffs removal instruction.

+5 green bubble algae. Not sure of the other couldn't really tell from the pic. Could be red bubble algae.

The green looks like valonia.sp....bubble algae.
The red is a type of marco algae, probably botryocladia.sp, possibly botryocladia.pseudodichotoma.

Back