Identification of new life is the best part of a marine aquarium!

Mikek

Reefing newb
One of the most exciting parts of this hobby since I've started, is the discovery of life that I didn't even purchase! All the hitchhikers I've had so far.
Granted there have been some bad, like Aptasia, and some borderline, like Bristle worms. But I've also discovered Asterina starfish (2 so far), tiny baby snails (about 100 all over my tank glass), and just today my wife and I discovered 2 baby Feather Duster worms (of course these show up 2 days after I PAID for an adult one)...I even had a full grown snail and 2 hermit crabs stow away on a large piece of coral I purchased. It's this kind of thing that keeps me glued to my tank, looking at every little crevice, while enjoying all the things I put in there on purpose...anyway, just wanted to share...

Its awesome aye! My cleaner shrimp breed like hell, and you see a burst of a white cloud and the fish go crazy... I stopped buying pods b/c my madarin is eating them too. The hitchhickers are the best, even if they are deemed "bad"

Just posted on another thread, that from one little rock I bought with 2 mushroom corals, I have now identified 2 Asterina Starfish, 2 baby feather duster worms, and 1 Peanut worm!

Back