Identify this Brown stuff Please!

reefraiser

Reefing newb
Okay, so I had a post recently on here when my entire tank turned brown and I had to move the livestock to a safe tank. Anyway, I changed approximately 40% of the water with deionized water. I also added some algae fix because I couldn't stand the smell in the house. So, the entire tank cleared up and everything was well for about a week. All my levels rebounded from the small ammonia increase. Last night I decided to add everything back into the tank. Keep in mind the lights have been running since a day or two after the outbreak. Now, today I notice that the brown stuff is starting to come back. In the last hour I have already noticed a difference in its density and area it covers. I took a picture but it is kind of hard to see. I will also post a picture of the same stuff I had an issue with before. I have been told it is diatom algae and it will go away. However, after the entire tank turned brown over a 24 hour period I am not about to let it go again. Anyway, I don't want to have to continue to use algae fix every 4 or 5 days so what can I do to eliminate this problem? I have already changed and added more lights to the tank. The tank has been running for 8 weeks.

Thanks In Advance.

TANK DETAILS:

75 gal. In tank overflow. Nova Dual 54w daylight/actinic. 2 65w 420/460 actinics. 2 65w 6000-10000k daylights. Super skimmer. level 3 hydor power head.

Attachments

• P1020149.jpg
    P1020149.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 1,967
  • P1020165.jpg
    P1020165.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 737
Diatoms are totally normal for a new tank, and there isn't anything you can do about it except wait for them to go away. As your tank matures, you'll get fewer outbreaks. Sand stirring snails will help it look better though (nassarius snails).

Get about 25 of these for a 75g tank.
Nassarius Snails.

Not too much more you can do.
Run some carbon for the smell if it gets too bad.

I've also seen these diatom filters, but I have no personal experience with them.

What type of sand are you using?
You should also pick up a Silicate test kit.

Good Luck!

diatoms. If you have a filter run some Sera Marin Silicate Clear and it will remove silicates from your water and clear the diatoms pretty fast. Getting rid of phosphates is the ultimate way to go also.

not to hijack but can you run gfo and carbon in the same canister filter?i have the same stuff as on the pics and iam getting a little smell. thanks

you can but the gfo is harder than the carbon or the other wa around not shure but one of them will poluvrise the other as they are tumbling around so you will get the powder that is made all in the tank with no way of really getting it all out. so i would only use one at a time.

this is from bulkreefsupply.com

1. [Back To Top]
  2. I mix my GFO with my carbon should I still let it tumble in the reactor?
    Absolutely not. The GFO is harder that the carbon and will grind it to dust if you allow the particles to grind against each other 24/7. There is also no benefit to the tumbling if used with carbon. The tumbling is to prevent the GFO particles from attaching to each other and forming one giant rust ball. There is no need for this if the partials are not touching each other because of the carbon.

you can do that i would put the media in a mesh bag also just get o large bag a 2 small ones so that it fills the try most of the way.

Picked up a Pura Filtration Pad today to put in the sump. Hopefully that will lower the phosphates and silicates. I really want to get this stabilized to start moving on the reef and add a couple fish. Just have to keep thinking....patience, patience..... haha

Back